Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 600cfm not enough?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My old 383 SBC had an Erson TQ30 cam, Weiand Xcelerator single plane, Vette dual point, 1-5/8" headers, TH400 and 3.73 posi and resided in a '72 Chevelle SS. I ran a 4776 600 DP on it with the primaries leaned out 2 or 3 jet sizes. The thing would pull a house and rev to 6000 no sweat and pulled an honest to God 17 MPG on the highway. Not bad since according to conventional wisdom I had the "wrong" carb, intake, distributor, cam, torque converter and headers. I never got it to the strip but I sold the motor to a friend. Installed "as is" in his '71 Monte Carlo with a TH350 and 3.73 posi it ran 16.0's all day long through full exhaust on Sears all season radials with that same carb. The Sears tires didn't hook until about halfway through 2nd gear. Now you're probably saying "16.0's.... Big deal, that ain't fast!" No but considering what it was in and the exhaust and tires I don't think it's too darn bad. He installed Nitrous on it later on and took me for a ride, when it finally hooked in 2nd gear and the speedometer came back off the peg we were going 85 MPH. The only change he made to the carb was to rejet it. You can doubt me if you want but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. You'll be fine with a 600.