605? steering box - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

605? steering box

Considering power steering on my 41 Pontiac.
See a lot of comments about 605 sectors for these old cars. If the 605 is the preferred upgrade, what cars did they come on?
I see no problem in hooking up the steering column side. Double D adapters, etc. But don't know much about the other side. the 41 has the original linkage (ball in socket center link, which I think was common through the 50's) rear steer. Are there common diameter/taper/spline counts so a later box will use my pitman arm? Or do you modify the other end by moving the ball to the new arm?
Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 06:38 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

http://carnut.com/specs/steering/pwr605.html

Found this on Google search. Looks like they put the 605 guts into a tri-5 chevy box housing for extra length. But there is a chart for donor cars for 605

If I read the chart correctly, that 605 is what I used in a rod 25 years ago. If so, there were many different styles of pitman arms that fit that spline. Lengths, angles, etc. I doubt the spline on your box is as big as the PS, but it's worth a look.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 PM
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw

Be careful of who you deal with

Read company reviews- check out a rack.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:23 AM

Last photo:

re: 605 steering box.

Very informative link, unfortunately, about half of it went over my head. Wasnt clear if all that interchange data was for cars that came with 605 boxes, or could be modified with them. Also the reference to the 800 box???
Maybe I need to rephrase the question. My 41 pontiac has linkage common on GMs till the late 50's. Is there a simple conversion to power steering?

Didn't understand the comment about the rack at all??

Can someone light a candle for me? I seem to be lost in a fog.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

I believe the interchange is to show which cars use a 605. Sorry to confuse you with the 55-57 chevy application where you have to make a 605 "longer" to fit those 5-7 cars.

You need to see if you have the room for a 605, plus; which way the 605 arm needs to be, either facing forward or rearwards. The 605 arm can be repositioned on the shaft, plus like I said, different GM cars used different shaped arms so you can usually find an arm to suit your needs.

I prefer a PS box on a big car rather than a rack....I am old school and I like the no-nonsence durability of a box. I have read too many problems on racks for 50's big cars.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

re: 605? steering box

Thanks F&J. With that in mind I read it again. Do I understand, All of them are 605 boxes, with the hollander number (and list of cars) interchangeable with each other. Each group represents some minor difference? Front/rear steer, etc.? So if I look at one box from each group, I'll know what I have to work with.
I think mine is called a rear steer. box is behind the linkage and the pitman arm points to the front.
Maybe I need to look at the bigger picture. I'm modifying the front end for disc brakes, using 63 - 68 spindles, which require modifying my outer tie rods.
Maybe I should be looking for rear steer cars with the same track width and using it all - tie rods, center link, idler arm, pitman, and sector? Or is there a significant difference in frame widths that rules that out?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:49 AM

Last photo:

I think even though something like the differance between the tri-5 chevy and pontiacs are front (chevy) and rear steer(Pontiac), the gearbox still mounts behind the steering assembly. So I don't think your really limited to a rear steer box. Both the pitman arms point out to the front of the car.

Back to the spindle deal, double check with what Scarebird had for the 58 spindles, I know on the tri-5 Pontiac kits, they now update to tapered bearings. If that was the case using the 58 spindles you may not need to shorten the inner toe rod ends. But that conversion was for tri-5 Pontiacs, not 41's.

I won't get my 41 over to my house for at least a few more weeks, i'll check it over than to see if the 605 box may be possible.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

I think you are getting ahead of your project. You should get the later discs & spindles on if that's what you want.

Then one of you guys needs to take a look to see what room is there for the 605. You also need to look at the idler arm you have. What you NEED to end up with is a pitman arm that has the same length (center-to-center) as the idler arm that ends up on the car. They need to swing in the same arc and same angle.

Don't worry too much about which donor car the 605 comes from, except some builders prefer the earlier ones that have a flare type hose fitting rather than metric boxes with O-ring fittings.

As I recall, I think there are 4 positions that the pitman can go on the shaft. Either the shaft, or the inside splines on the pitman has 4 "missing" splines placed 90* apart, and the other mating part has one "thick-siamesed", spline. So, you can get that locating thick spline to fit in 4 positions. (My memory is fading on this, Sorry.) So, you can switch the arm to front or rear steer. Just make sure that you end up with a setup that steers left when you turn left

Sounds like a nightmare, but if you start by seeing if the 605 can fit, that would help.

If it was mine, I'd try to see if the box will fit. Then hopefully it can fit where the STOCK idler arm can be kept. By that I mean the 605 pitman needs to match the length & angles of the Original STOCK manual box. You need to try to find a 605 pitman that mirrors the idler on your car, same length, same end that fits the link. If you got lucky in that, You can keep the stock link. This would be the best situation IMO. Then you can adapt tierods easily to the later spindles.

If you can't use the stock idler and link:....As far as getting the pitman arm AND the idler from the same donor car...a big yes, because they should match in length. However you need to see if that idler can be made to fit the chassis.

Centerlinks could be difficult, because some 605 pitmans have either a tapered hole on the end or a joint with a tapered stud. Then you need to deal with the multitude of different centerlinks to find one that has the correct lengths, tapers, whatever!

You mentioned "track width" in picking a donor for centerlink & tierods, but don't forget that that donor may have it's box & idler mounted more inboard or outboard, in a place that you can't mount yours due to chassis limitations.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:09 PM

Last photo:

Thanks F&J. those are the kind of details I need to know when I start looking at changes.
Chieftan, should have guessed you'd be on here. You know exactly where I'm headed with this. Once I get started on the front end I may change everything from the spindle nut to the horn ring. Might as well look at it that way instead of piecemeal. You never mentioned scarebird might have someway to put tapered bearings on the 58 spindle. Thought I had to go to 63 for that, so I didn't get the spindles with the arms. I can check that out. Might save modifying the tie rod ends.
Where are you on the 55? Got the control arms, spindles, springs and shocks in? Got the linkage hooked up?
Wating for parts is driving me nuts. I want to put something together NOW!
so I can plan on how I'll take it apart and do it right next weekend. (lol)
Old 06-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

I have it all in and hooked up except for the shocks. I have to get it on the alignment rack and double check my upper mount is in the right place before I put shocks in it.

The reason I got the 63 spindles in the first place at the time his 58 kit still used the drum hub. Now he has changed stuff around, it might be a differant story.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

I checked the p/s box I have and the tri-5 splines are too small.
I found an old e-mail I had where the guy used a 605 box and pitman arm. He basically removed the ball stud from the old style box pitman arm and installed it on the 605 pitman arm. I can forward it too you if you like.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

Please do. I want to explore my options before I go to the work of shortening the tie rod ends to fit the current box.
email is djw829@sbcglobal.net
home is dwallace4@satx.rr.com
first one is more reliable and should show up both places. don
Old 06-07-2007, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

I sent it to you. But the reason for shortening the inner was because of the longer steering arms with the 63 spindles, did you get steering arms with your 58 spindles, if they are shorter, the inners may not need shortened.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

Didn't get the 58 spindles. Just the upper and lower arms. Getting 63 spindles for the tapered bearings.
Did you ever figure out if it got wider, hub to hub?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

No, I'll try tonight.

I take it your going with the kit that I have that uses the drum hub and 11" rotors?

Last edited by chieftain; 06-07-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.