61 Caddy Powertrain Swap ( Help ) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 07:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

61 Caddy Powertrain Swap ( Help )

I Have A 61 Caddy That Has The Original Drive Drain, The Motor Is In Good Shape. But The Trans Has Some Problems. I Found A Complete 76 Caddy With A 500 In It. Drive Tran In Perfect Running Shape. My Question Is Should I Swap The Full Drivetrain And Will There Be Any Problems With The Trans Or Engine Swap. The Engine Should Be No Problem And If The Trans Just Need Another Cross Member And Shaft Modified. I Would Like To Have The 500 And Newer Trans In The Car. Just Wondering If Any One Has Any Suugestions. Thanks For Any Info.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Get the 76 motor, trans, crossmember and driveshaft. Leaving the 61 crossmember bolted in place, cut the center 1/3 out of it. With the motor and trans in place and positioned, cut the center 1/3 out of the 76 crossmember, bolt it to the TH400 and weld it to the outer thirds of the 61 crossmember.

I don't know if the motor mounts are different, but I would also get the stands out of the 76 while the gettin' is good. If need be, then you can bolt them into the 61 or alter them to what you need and weld them in for proper placement of the motor using the stock 76 rubber mounts.

Pay attention to the placement of the motor front to rear so you can utilize all the stock cooling system components from the 76. You may even want to snag the 76 radiator, shroud and core support so the whole thing will be an engineered package. It's no big deal to swap the cut-down 76 core support into the 61.

You might get lucky and the driveshaft will bolt up. If not, with weight on the tires so the suspension is loaded, stick the TH400 trans yoke onto its splines on the trans output shaft. Push it in as far as it will go, then pull it back out 3/4 of an inch. Now, measure from the centerline of the cross and bearings on the trans yoke to the centerline of the cross and bearings on the pinion yoke. That will be the dimension you will give to the shop that will make up your shaft. Take both driveshafts and your measurements to the shop doing the work. Expect to pay $150 to $200 for a completed, balanced shaft.

Last edited by techinspector1; 07-27-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to get all the info possible, Whether it be Good or Bad.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:00 PM

Being a '76 engine, and if it has a smog control system on it, either change the heads or modify them. It will help.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Trust me, with the 500 in place, you won't need any help. I'd mount all the emissions stuff in place just like it was produced at the factory. That way, if the car ever has to be emission tested, everything will be in place and working properly. Then there is the additonal peace of mind knowing that you're doing your share to keep the air clean.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.