61 chev - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

61 chev

I've got a question for barry or shine.I got in a 61 chev 2 door post car for a repaint. Car was soda blasted ,body work done, and looks like primed with a fairly thin coat of maybe kondra primer.sanded and ready to paint. Then a good coat of dp-90 was put on it. At this point it got parked in the back of a garage for 20 yrs. Now the guy wants me to paint it. The thing is amazingly straight and the dp has held up great because it was not out in the weather for all these years.I've sanded it down good with 180-240 on the da. has almost no surface rust starting anywhere and no adhesion problems at all anywhere. It's got a lot of spots that are feathered down to bare metal sanding out small chips and small scratches it's picked up over the years. I would like to give it one good coat of 2-k and block sand before I paint. Should I put a coat of epoxy on it first or just a thin coat of wash prime and then lay down the 2-k . I'll see if I can post some pictures in a day or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

That was most likely the leaded DP and some great stuff.

I would hand sand the epoxy (not DA) with 180 and put two coat of epoxy over it just for a few preventative reasons that could or may pop up, down the road.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I've already sanded it with 180 finishing off with 240. I'am sure it was leaded dp and a real thin coat.They must of put it on to protect it from moisture. that or the plan was to use it as a sealer it's that thin.It sanded easy being its so dry. 20 years will do that.I just want to put some 2-k on it and block so I know its good and straight. It's going white with a gray roof but I still want it straight.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i would do as barry suggested but one thing i would not do is warranty it. since it has been soda blasted and you did not do the prep. it has not been in the sun so who knows. a few days in the sun might be a good idea. i just dont trust soda.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.