61 dodge 8lug straght axle rat-rod gasser - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 11:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

61 dodge 8lug straght axle rat-rod gasser

i have a big old ugly 1961 dodge D200 sweepside long bed with a strong 440... this is my first atempt at building a hotrod...... i want the gasser look.. jacked up in the front running 14" rims and a set of old school ladder bars on the rear.. . MY QUESTION IS.... what is the cheapest way to get 14" rims on the front of this monster??? .. . . i wish i could just buy 8lug 14" rims and slap them on the front so i can spend my time building the ladder bars.. the truck stops just fine... can i use 1/2ton spindles and kingpins??? ... i also have 2 mopar parts cars i can rob the disk brakes from if needed..... i am just looking for the quickest way to do this.. mabey wheel adapters for now...... i would think small 14" wheels wouldn`t put much strain on big 8lug adaptors.. ... i want to get the wheels on ASAP so i can start work on raising the springs to the right hight.... i will be asking more questions soon about springs and things and how to build axle blocks.......
THANK YOU

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I doubt you can find adapters. To see if the spindles might fit check the part numbers for a set of king pins to see if the 1/2 & 3/4 ton is the same??

The 1/2 Dodge is a 5 lug on 5-1/2" pattern like old Ford pickups and old Jeeps, so 14" may be hard to find in that pattern.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
I doubt you can find adapters. To see if the spindles might fit check the part numbers for a set of king pins to see if the 1/2 & 3/4 ton is the same??

The 1/2 Dodge is a 5 lug on 5-1/2" pattern like old Ford pickups and old Jeeps, so 14" may be hard to find in that pattern.
yea i am sure adepters are out of the question... after all, who in there right mind would evan think about customizing a ugly old dodge...lol. .. so call me crazzy.... i may have to run thin 15" rims with low-profile tires.... but it never hurts to ask.....lol... is there a website that has dodge king pin sizes listed???............ does anyone evan sell old dodge king pins????..... .. has anyone ever used DODGE RAM 150 disks and spindles on a straight axle???? . .. ... you would think the 1960s and 70s hotroders would have been all over these old bigblock dodge pickups for the drag strip... they were cheap and would easly blow the doors off a chevy or ford pu.... i guess they were just tooo ugly for the local drag strip.... lol .. does anybody remember a old dodge truck fetured in MECHANIX ILLUSTRATED??.. they put about 200 bucks into the thing for headers cheater sliks an traction bars. they ended up cutting a hole in the bed to brake the suction caused by the aerodymatics and opend the tailgate and filled it with concrete for traction. they took it to the drags and blew the doors off just about everything in the class..lol .. .. if my scanner was working i would post it.... i think the readers would get a kick ot of it..lol
Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 PM

I didnt know they put any 440 into a pickup or truck until 75. everything else up to that time was 361, 383 "b" engines and the 413 "rb" engine. the 440 DID NOT come out until 1966-67
Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Those trucks are ugly but they sure are cool at least you wont see one at every corner I found one that Im buying I plan putting some weird engine in it diesel or whatever I can find cheap. You may look at a early ford haft ton truck axle they have disc brake conversion kit for them and lots different bolt patterns for the rotors
Old 06-14-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31choptop
I didnt know they put any 440 into a pickup or truck until 75. everything else up to that time was 361, 383 "b" engines and the 413 "rb" engine. the 440 DID NOT come out until 1966-67
yea the truck featured in MECHANIX ILLUSTRATED had the 413 wedge.... my dad bougt this truck from his friend who has passed away.... he built this truck to pull a 33' camping trailer and never used it... ... he got a deal on a wreked 1970s plymouth 440 police intercepter with only 65.000 miles on it.. .. .. . this monster has a 440 727 hooked up to a dana 8lug posi with 17 inch split rims.. .. . i was vary impresed with the power this bad boy possessed!!!! i has massuve tourk!! and the shifts were HARD!! and FIRM!! it has LOW gearing and can burn rubber with the 17inch HEAVY SPLIT RIMS... so i think alumnium 16 OR 20inch 8 lug rims runing low profil rubber would work vary well..... ... but i stil have the problem wit the HEAVY HEAVY 8 LUG front rims... .... THEY HAVE GOT TO GO!!! ... i want the 60s gasser look...... i am a welder by trade so fab work dosent bother me in the leased bit... HOWEVER!! i dont want to sub frame this thing with coils. . . . and i dont want to spend the time and work shim shamming a ford straight axle . . like i said i am happy with the big ugly brake drums they work just fine.. . how ever i wouldn`t mind replacing the kingpins with disks . MY QUESTION IS. .. can i put 14" or 15" rims and or 14" 15" 5-lug hubs on my straigh axle... it is the same bolt pattern as newer dana 4X4S can i buy 5-lug adapters?? .. .. . the steel 17" split rims must go!!! . .. ..
THANK YOU
Old 06-15-2007, 06:28 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Check with car-part.com on rims as we have gotten tubeless rims for those old trucks from them..the std was or is a 16" tire and rim but then a small 16" tire will look tiny under the front of that truck.These days there are a lot of large tires/wheels that will fit the rear that would give the old gasser look..

Sam
Old 06-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Check with car-part.com on rims as we have gotten tubeless rims for those old trucks from them..the std was or is a 16" tire and rim but then a small 16" tire will look tiny under the front of that truck.These days there are a lot of large tires/wheels that will fit the rear that would give the old gasser look..

Sam
THANKS SAM thank you for the link.... maybe i was doing somthing wrong because i couldnt find any wheels on that site.. .. i tryed to search (rims) (wheels) (aluminum wheels)(8-lug rims) i coldn`t find anything but hub caps and tire chains..... ya i could probebly get by with skinny 16" rime with low profile tires... ... i just wish somone new a little more about how to put 5-lug drums or disks on my 8 lug axle............ or a link whare i can find under size 8-lug rims
Old 06-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Actually if you were to find an axle from a D100, those use the Chrysler car bolt pattern and I have been told that coronet or belvedere disks will fit those spindles..still leaves some brackets for the calipers to fabricate..

Do some checking on this if you really have to have the 5 lug front axle..

Sam
Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 AM

thanks sam
this is the truck i am going to (Copy) my 440 intercepter will produce about 500 hp... i expetc about the same 1/4 mile ETs as the old barn door...... 100mph runs ALL DAY LONG...lol.. CLICK HERE TO SEE PICS AND STORIES OF THE OLD BARN DOOR

http://www.sweptline.com/hist/spectruckshtml
Old 07-25-2007, 04:01 AM

oops try this link or ckick on (superstockin pickups aLA Dodge)
http://www.sweptline.com/hist/rtest3.html
Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The D100 has five lug wheels. What is the difference between the 100 and the 200 front axles and spindles/kingpins?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
The D100 has five lug wheels. What is the difference between the 100 and the 200 front axles and spindles/kingpins?
yes that is a good question...... what is the difference between the axles?? can i run half ton 5-lug drums on my D-200???? THAT IS ALL I NEED TO KNOW to get me off and running .. ... .. does anybody know????????????????????????????? ???????????? ???????????????????????? ??????????? ?????????? ???

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.