Hot Rod Forum banner

61 Rambler Classic, 4.0 jeep swap. or Ford 6cyl?

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  farna 
#1 ·
I own a 1961 Rambler classic wagon. It is not the smaller rambler known as the american. Its a full size, aluminum block 6cly, 3speed with overdrive. I believe the stock tranny is a t-96? , and it has a Posi rearend.
I also have a couple of pushbutton automatic trannys from a 62 rambler.
My question is if any upgrade engines such as jeep 4.0 or Ford Falcon straight 6, would be a bolt in to this t-96, 3 speed tranny. or the automatic tranny?
Also, any known complications of this swap, if swap is even possible, would be greatly apreciated!!

#2 ·
The T-96 is just adequate behind the old AMC 196 six. Anything larger will quickly trash it. I did run a T-96 behind a 4.0L for about 18 months, but that was longer than I should have. Just took me that long to realize I couldn't find the trans I wanted close enough, so settled on the Jeep AW4 from a 2WD Cherokee.

If the autos came from six cylinders they will hold up a bit better, but won't bolt up to a 4.0L. You'll need a 1964-71 232 from a Rambler, AMC, or Jeep. There is a 1971 only 258 that will bolt up but they are hard to find. AMC changed the bell housing bolt pattern on the six when they changed to Chrysler automatic transmissions in 1972. 1972+ sixes use the same pattern as 67-91 V-8s. The 56-66 V-8 used a totally different bolt pattern.

There is a possibility that you could use the bell from a 67-71 290 or 304 with auto trans (Borg-Warner M-4x, with the x being a number) on the older auto, but I'm not 100% certain the bells will interchange as I haven't tried it. They should, but the depth and torque converter nose might be different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.