Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 62 buick skylark upgrade
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhgfdoc View Post
I am gutting this car and redoing the whole thing. I have a 95 camero to put into this buick.
I doubt the trunk is that big...

I don't know what parts from the CamAro you plan to swap, but the heater box is probably the least of your concerns. First, be aware that the 61-63 Skylark/F-85 are among GM's first attempts at unibody cars. Yes, larger iron and aluminum engines have been swapped into these cars for decades (including the related Tempests), but be aware of the structural limitations. Note that the stock axle is a 6.5" unit that's unique to the 61-63 cars. The Camaro axle is a three bar suspension and is a different width, so there will be fabrication if you plan to use it. The Camaro front suspension is McPherson strut, so that doesn't swap without major sheet metal work, since the Camaro inner fenders are the mounting points for the tops of the struts. The Skylark uses a drop-out suspension crossmember that also mounts the engine and steering. Again, the different track width of the two cars means you can't adapt the Camaro rack without narrowing the inner pivot points. Trans tunnel in the Skylark is tiny and the stock transmissions are similarly very small. Any modern trans will require sheet metal work to enlarge the tunnel. Wheel wells are also tiny - I can barely get 205/70-14s to fit under my F-85. The stock exhaust runs down the tunnel next to the driveshaft (which is two-piece to allow for a lower floor). I was able to squeeze a single 2.5" pipe in there (stock is 2"). Yes, people have simply run duals under the floor pan, but that really lowers ground clearance or requires the car to be jacked up.

Nothing here is impossible, but be aware of the limitations of the platform. I'll offer a suggestion. The stock 215 V8 was bought by Rover, who enlarged it to 4.6 liters. The Rover motor bolts into the Skylark. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_padavano For This Useful Post:
tyhgfdoc (01-03-2013)