62' Chevrolet Truck for sale - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 01:24 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

62' Chevrolet Truck for sale

I was wondering around today after work and drove by an old farmhouse. I happened to see in the back field there was an old pickup sitting back there. The truck is in good shape I think for the year and how long it has been sitting. The guy says it has been sitting for about 20 years maybe a little less. The body is in really good shape with just very few rust holes. The two front headlights are missing and the front grill is a little twisted around, I think it can be straightened though. It has the old straight 6 with the four speed transmission. The engine rolls over by hand. The truck rolls because he said he just recently moved it around 6 months ago. All of the glass is in good shape and the two windows rolls down in the doors. It has the wooden bed in it, the bed is rotted out but the frame itself looks solid. The guy told me $700.00 with haul it. What do you guys think. I have never bought a truck of this year and don't even know what to look for when buying a truck of this year and age. Please give me the truth, I have not purchased the truck but am thinking I would like to.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

That's not a terrible price. I paid about the same ($500) 5 or so years ago for my 65 but it came with a 75 smogger 350 and a 3 spd. As long as everything is there for the most part you should be golden. I'm not sure about the emissions requirements for Michigan but here in Arizona any pre-67 is exempt, which is why I got mine.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

so if I wanted to throw a counter offer at him without being ridiculously low what would it be?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Like Scatman Curutthers said to John Wayne in "The Shootist"...."Lets get to hagglin" .... of course make a counter offer. Tell the guy you'll give him $500, just too much work to do on it for $700. This gives him some "Hagglin" room, now if you REALLY want that truck and he sticks to the $700 you either pay the man or walk away and see what he does.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

i guess my question is, is the truck worth 700 bucks, would this be a going rate, or a really good price, or really cheap?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Crawl underneath it and have a look at the cab supports and mounts.....They were known to rot out on those.....then make your decision.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I paid $500 for this '66 with no engine last Winter.

Condition sounds similar, believe it or not it only has 42,000 miles but they must have been HARD! Reproduction parts are plentiful and reasonable and they are popular trucks. Offer him $500 but don't walk at 700 if he won't budge and you really like it. I wouldn't pay much more than that but it will bring it around here. There used to be a bunch of these sitting around behind barns but the scrappers have cleaned them out in this area. They have been circling mine like buzzards over road kill. They ain't gettin' it!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

It's pretty hard to get hurt on anything under a thousand dollars. I paid a thousand for my '91 Ford F150 4 years ago and have driven it daily ever since, except for R&R on the motor 2 years ago. By the way, there is not one straight body panel on this truck. The guy I bought it from used it in the Wisconsin winters to haul firewood. Every panel on the truck has had firewood bounced off it. Ask me if I care.

Some of these old boys just like to think they have gotten the best deal possible and don't want to think they are being taken advantage of. He knows how much money it will take to get it going, that's why it's sittin' in the back. Offer him $385 cash and 50 dollars a month for the next 3 months and see what he says. If he's sentimental at all, he'll figure that you really want the truck but are strapped for cash right now. If he says no, offer some labor to help him with work around the place. If he still says no, move on down the road. This ain't the last old truck you'll come across.

At the worst, you could part the truck out and recoup your investment. Start a subscription to Hemmings Motor News and get aquainted with all the sources for Chevy truck parts, plus all the yards that may be interested in your parts.

I just remembered this.....several years ago there was a '64 longbed, 292/4-speed in the PennySaver paper. The guy listed it as a parts truck for $350. I called him up and asked if it ran. He said it did. I told him if he could drive it to my house, I'd shell out the cash. He did and I did. His wife followed him in the family car to drive him back home. I drove that old heap for a couple of years, just for haulin' heavy or greasy stuff like blocks and heads, then sold it to a friend of mine for $500. He was happy, I was happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	47044  

Last edited by techinspector1; 07-29-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

It's Thursday night it's dark and I have on sunglasses but seriously I'd give him seven hundred for it and as long as there isn't a rod hanging out of the side of the block, by Sunday afternoon I'd be driving it. Those old trucks are hard to come by here in Florida and usually the rocker panels, edges of the floor boards and the bottom of the doors are gone. The bottom of the fender is nothing.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys, tech your advise on the 385 and 50 bucks for 3 months adds up to 535 dollars, I like how you told me to tell him how much it is going be to fix up and that is why it is sitting out back. I am going to just offer him five hundred cash in hand. He says he wants 700 firm but he is saying that without seeing the five hundred cash in my hand. From looking around his field he is a junk collector though so it might be a little harder than I think. He has more projects started than any one person could finish in 10 lifetimes. I am just worried that if I offer him five hundred and walk away that it will end up out by the road and somebody with deeper pockets than mine will pay him a thousand for it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.