62 Falcon disc brake conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

62 Falcon disc brake conversion

I have a '62 Falcon 6 cylinder I am converting to 289 with Toploader and disc brakes. I bought a '79 Granada donor that came with brand new rotors etc. The spindles fit except the Falcon upper ball joint and outer tie rod end have smaller diameter shafts. Is there an upper ball joint that will bolt onto my control arm, or do I have to change the control arm? What about the tie rod ends? The Falcon's original steering seems to be a lot lighter construction than the Granada. Jeff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Welcome to the site. got any pics ?
My take on this is you probably will need to change the control arms for everything to be correct. JMO you might find some mustang ball joints that will work maybe. JMO

Cole
Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM

I think you are right

I ordered upper control arms today that are actually for 65-66 Mustang. Apparently they will bolt right in to my '62 Falcon and they come with ball joints and everything. Not bad for $72 each side from CJ Pony. No pics yet - the car is torn apart - motor and tranny out - getting a stock 289 and a Toploader 4-gear ready to go in. It's winter here in Canada and I really hope to get it together for spring. I light the wood-stove in my shop and spend a lot of time out there with my dogs and the Falcon. Jeff
Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Good deal i thought the mustang parts would work on that falcon.

Cole
Old 01-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I'm pretty sure you need control arms for a '63 Falcon. The '64+ Mustang peices fit '64+ Falcons.. www.discbrakeswap.com has the tierod adapters you need
Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

I did that swap back in my "yout". Wrecked 65 Mustang donor and everything fit into a 60 Falcon Ranchero. The 8" rear will also work to get brakes and 5 lug axles, if you can find one.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

On my 1962 Sedan Falcon I used non power assisted disc with spindles off a Maverick..

I bought the repo upper A arms for early Mustang and the tie rod adapter-spacer sleeves.

I retained the inline 6 engine in my 62 Falcon.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 AM

Thanks guys

I appreciate the help - I hope the Mustang control arms work because FedEx is on it's way to Canada with a pair of them for me. It was the disc-brake-swap guys that told me to get them.
I am planning on using the 8" rear from my donor Granada - it was an automatic car and I am using a toploader 4-speed so it might be geared pretty tall - good for the salt flats but there aren't any up here. We got snow covered lakes. Don't feel sorry for us up here in the Great White North - the beauty of a quiet walk through a snowy forest is stunning.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Tie rod spacer sleeves?

Hey - where did you get the tie rod spacer sleeves? I was thinking of ordering the entire center-link tie-rod end kit from the disc-brake-swap guys. It costs around $375. My creative mind was thinking of cutting the Granada tie-rod-end sleeve in half, and also cutting the Falcon sleeve in half and sliding the big Granada one over the Falcon one and welding it together. Is this just nuts? I think the inside diameter of the Granada is about the same as the outside diameter of the Falcon.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 AM

i have read the posts and wondering if some one has the complete list of parts of the disc brake swap ,doin the same on a 62 falcon and just starting to gather parts so i want to get everything at one time ,and not miss any thing ,this is a 6cyl car thanks in advance,maybe some one can send to my email at donald.coffey@yahoo.com

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.