Hot Rod Forum banner

'62 falcon engine swap

17K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  2001Blazer4x4 
#1 ·
What alterations need I make to a stock '62 falcon to put a 302 in it, ie drive train, brakes etc.? Would appreciate any input someone might have on this subject.

#5 ·
Yes, swapping a V8 into a 1st gen Falcon is not like a 2nd gen, or a Mustang. You'll need to buy the parts and pieces for a later Falcon Sprint, which came with a V8. Regardless of what you might read, the steering all clears, so no issues there. Front springs work, but if they're old and tired might need replacement with the slightly heavier V8. Take a look here for a ton of questions and answers on V8 swaps in early Falcons:
Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - Search Results

I would plan on using a better trans and definitely upgrade the puny little Falcon rear axle. It's the weakest axle Ford made in the 60's, and either an 8", 9", or 8.8" rear axle will be the way to go.

#6 ·
I went out & got a 72/74?? Maverick/Comet donor and used the rear axle w/ 5 lug drums, c4 trans, 302, radiator, front spindles w/ 5 lug discs & wheels. Used engine mounts & trans member mount from a falcon website. My falcon was a 62 2dr post w/144 ci & 2 spd fordomatic with 4 wheel drums. Was originally going to use a bigger 200/250 six but the falcon forums said V8/trans/discs was easier w/Maverick donor. Everything was basic bolt in. If I was to do it over again (still thinkin') I would go with late model 4 cyl/5 speed with 4 wheel discs. IIRC my falcon is only 2100/2300 lbs (??)

I haven't measured yet, but would a Miata IRS fit??

#7 ·
The most popular rear axle swap seems to be the Explorer, with short side axle rework. It makes the rear just a little narrower than stock, and allows for a bigger tire in the back of the early Falcons. And if you swap to disc brakes up front, you can use a later disc brake rear, and have 4 wheel disc cheap.

#10 ·
I've read (never verified) that Ford knew they were putting a v8 in the Falcon chassis and moved the trans tunnel out slightly larger. The spring towers were slightly modded too. The V8 was in the 63 Falcon Sprint cars.

The redesigned Falcon 1964 had a bit more room added too , in the engine bay. Those cars were tight fit for a V8, small radiators.. you know the routine : LOL

My 1962 Falcon, I installed disc brakes from a Maverick. I had to change out the early Falcon A arms (upper) . I bought re-po early Mustang A arms. It all bolted together.

i also bought the tapered shimming sleeves offered for the 6 cylinder tie rods to fit the Maverick spindles. Been together for 7 yrs now

#11 ·
I've read (never verified) that Ford knew they were putting a V8 in the Falcon chassis and moved the trans tunnel out slightly larger. The spring towers were slightly modded too. The V8 was in the 63 Falcon Sprint cars.
The Futura also had a V8, but as an option. I never verified this, but heard Ford knew guys would put a BBC in a Falcon, so made it pretty easy to shoehorn one in there! ;) At least I found it fairly simple! :)

#12 · (Edited)
Around 40 years ago I had a 1963 Falcon Convertible with factory 260 V-8/four speed. It was an early 1963 Futura with bench seat and no console, not a Sprint which came later in the year. I bought it at a Ford dealer in Colorado. It was a new car trade-in. Paid $800 and it sure was sweet with 50K miles! Red/white top with Ford wire style wheel covers w/spinner. Was my Senior year in High-school car.

The V-8 Falcon in 1963 came with a completely different (heavier) font/rear suspension/steering with an 8" rear end and 5 lug 13" wheels. I remember that even the idler arm for the V-8 was specific for the V-8 when I had to replace it later. In any case the 13" wheels didn't stay on even 1 week. On went some E70-14 radials with stock black 14" Ford rims without any hubcaps. Made it look much more agressive.

Once I tore the pinion right out of the rear end practicing hole shots at different RPMs! Grease and dirt everywhere! Talk about spring wrap-up. In went a 4.10:1 rear out of an overdrive 1963 Fairlane. Speedo was never right again.

I also once exploded the facing off the clutch shifting into 3rd (somehow got it back into first) and the kick back actually broke a nylon piece in the clutch linkage. Used to shift that little BW 4-speed pretty dang hard - bent the factory shifter and had to install a Hurst. Surprisingly trans and engine was OK.

Car was pretty fast out of the hole with the open 4.10:1 rear. But the little 260-2V would get pretty winded starting in 3rd gear. Had a friend with a Ram Air IV GTO. Since he was always balls to the wall whenever he drove, I could smoke him off the line by several cars - but once he got hooked up he would come around me like a rocket! He was always impressed with the Falcon as he never could beat me out of the hole with the GTO no matter how much he tried.

Those were the days!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.