62 Nova front spring rate - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 08:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

62 Nova front spring rate

I'm building a '62 Nova with a small block and an automatic, and I could use some advice on spring rates on the front coilovers. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Stock front end, tube car, drag racing also where are the shock mounts in relation to the control arm piviot? Let me know and I can help you out.

Mike
Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 PM

Nova spring rate

Street car, Heidts type front subframe using coilovers. Thanks for the help..........
Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

I am guessing it has the bolt on front clip, I would start with about a 450# spring. You can move up or down from there but they have the shock in the correct location so they don't bind etc. I run the lightest spring I can so you have some stored energy to get the car to react.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Nova spring rate

Thanks for the help Mike H.........
Old 02-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Mike, don't mean to give you a hard time, but I wanted to clarify the effects of stored energy in a suspension spring. The following is from Page 32 of my site:

Initially, the chemical energy of the fuel is the source of the car's performance. With combustion in the engine, approximately a third of the energy goes out the exhaust and another third goes into the engine's coolant. This leaves about a third to power the car down the strip. The rate at which that energy is consumed determines...for a given car speed...the maximum acceleration attainable.

Energy can appear in other forms, however. It is said, for instance, that any object has potential energy if it is possible for the object to descend to a lower elevation. That descent can be harnessed to do work. Examples would be the weights in an old pendulum clock or the water driving the turbines at a hydro-electric facility.

When the front end of a car rises during launch, then, it is recognized that a weight has been driven to a higher elevation and, consequently, some energy must have been required to achieve this change. Since the dragracer's goal is to quickly move the car forward and not upward, some have seized on this as evidence that energy which could have been used profitably has been "wasted" in this upward motion.

This is, however, not the proper conclusion.

Just as the fuel contains stored energy in the form of chemical energy, a deflected spring (compressed coil or twisted torsion bar) also contains stored energy. During launch, the vertical loading of the rear tires increases (weight transfer) and the vertical loading of the front tires decreases. With less upward force being applied to the front tires, the front suspension springs are no longer able to maintain their deflected shape. This loss in stored spring energy (as a coil spring or air bag lengthens or a torsioin bar "untwists") is exactly equal to the increase in potential energy (energy of elevation) gained by the car's front weight.

As far as the chemical energy of the fuel is concerned, nothing is "wasted" with this upward motion.

This does not mean, however, that the upward motion of the front of the car is of no concern. The upward motion increases the height of the center of gravity and, consequently, increases the potential for more weight transfer. This may or may not be beneficial. The best performing rear wheel drive cars are capable of unloading the front end completely, so they are set up to minimize front end lift and wheelie bar loading.

The point to remember is that front end rise does not constitute a "waste" of potentially usable energy and, as a corollary, there is no magic trick to somehow harness that energy of elevation to increase performance.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope
over 130,000 visitors

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.