'62GMC PU rear end gears - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

'62GMC PU rear end gears

I've got a '62GMC PU which I just inherited.

The plan is to swap out the 305V6 with a spun crank bearing and drop in a 250/Powerglide from a '68 Nova 4-door.

I'd like to know if different gears are available to make the original rear-end more street and highway friendly.

Also, where can I get them from?

If there isn't any to use with the original rear-end, can anyone suggest a different rear to use that would go in fairly painlessly?

I want to keep the "original" look that dad had it. So I want to keep the 6 hole lug rims.

I'd appreciate any info or advice. Dad always said that if you don't know about something, go ask somebody who does. That's why I'm here.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM

62 GMC

Hi, it's been a while since this threads been touched, but I'd like to know how it turned out. I recently inherited my dads '62 and and am wanting to do so upgrades.

I've got a couple other posts on here about it too.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientx View Post
Hi, it's been a while since this threads been touched, but I'd like to know how it turned out. I recently inherited my dads '62 and and am wanting to do so upgrades.

I've got a couple other posts on here about it too.
Welcome to Hotrodders.

You posted to an old thread. That member had not logged in for years, there may be no answer from him.

I merged your posts here, so there is a new thread on an old question.

Good luck
ancientx (05-05-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

GMC and Chevy will have used the same axle, you can find six lug up yo 1970 on all GMC and chevy trucks, after that only on 4x4, the GMC used leaf springs in most cases but had the option for coils, if you choose the chevy axle most cases will be coil springs but they also had the option for leaf springs, later model both GMC and chevy `68 to 70 had a little friendlier axle ratios, this will be a wrecking yard hunt or craiglist, if you find a chevy axle, you will have to have sping pads welded on for your GMC...
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick 5150 69 For This Useful Post:
ancientx (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 5150 69 View Post
GMC and Chevy will have used the same axle, you can find six lug up yo 1970 on all GMC and chevy trucks, after that only on 4x4, the GMC used leaf springs in most cases but had the option for coils, if you choose the chevy axle most cases will be coil springs but they also had the option for leaf springs, later model both GMC and chevy `68 to 70 had a little friendlier axle ratios, this will be a wrecking yard hunt or craiglist, if you find a chevy axle, you will have to have sping pads welded on for your GMC...
Thanks. I guess the original owner got the coil spring option. I know dad didn't put them on.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientx View Post
I guess the original owner got the coil spring option. I know dad didn't put them on.
Not on?

You'll have either large coils with stamped-steel arms that go forward diagonally from the axle to a crossmember (plus a panhard rod)...or a pair of front-to-back leaf springs...they are two totally different suspension types.

The live axles can be interchanged between the two types with a little creativity.

'70s 1/2-ton 4x4s will have a "truck 12-bolt" rear with six lugs and usually 3.73 gears, that maybe you can use. In the eighties you'll likely find 2.73s and there are Blazers everywhere with those rears if you can deal with that tall of a gear. There are late-eighties-and-up 9 1/2" rears that came in something called a HD half-ton or conversely a light-duty 3/4-ton, that are tougher and had 6-lug c-clip axles, but hard to find and you're usually back to 3.73 or 4.11.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.