Hot Rod Forum banner

63 biscayne rear differential problems

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  steve t 
#1 ·
i started having problems a few days ago with my rear differential on my biscayne, i just bought it a few weeks ago so im still getting aquainted with it. the fluid was low in the rear diff. so i refilled it. im kinda leaning toward u-joints, the rear of the car shakes below 40mph and makes a low grinding noise, i looked at the joint in the rear and it looks fine, the rear diff was gnashing pretty bad but the fluid was way low and it cleared up when i filled it,only to be replaced by this shaking, its not really bad but its there now and wasnt before i havent checked the front differential but i did get the back end up on jacks and spun the rear wheels and it sounded fine and once i get around 50mph it clears up. like i said im thinking u-joints i just dont see why they'd go bad now all the sudden.

#6 ·
thanks for the advice, i believe my left rear wheel bearing is in fact the problem its been leaking while parked and it was smoking pretty bad the other day i havent driven it since then, are those bearings something i can do myself or do they need to be pressed in? i dont have alot of good experiences with drivetrains if its too indepth im just gonna take it to a shop.

#8 ·
yeah im pretty sure thats where it was coming from and the whole inside of the rim and tire is coated w/ gear oil, i was driving it around and started to smell acrid smoke and when i got home and parked i stepped out to see smoke rolling from behind my rear tire, when i got under to investigate it was deffinitely coming from my brake drum/hub area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.