63 Chevy 3 speed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 04:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

63 Chevy 3 speed

Hello all .
I have a question about a transmission that was given to me. It is a 3 speed manual out of a 63 Chevy truck. My question is it worth anything? Any good uses? Is it a solid transmission? And any other info about the transmission you can pass on. I just want to know what to do with this thing. I believe that it is to good to be thrown out because it was just rebuilt before it was pulled from the truck (about 4 years ago), but I donít want to hang on to glorified paper weight. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 04:09 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

i would not throw it away, u might sell it at swap meet oneday, of course 4 speed are always better
Old 10-22-2005, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Someone gave me one that was out of a 64 truck.I looked around on ebay to see if it was worth anything.I saw a couple that went for about 25 or 30 dollars.Then I saw one that was painted and detailed and he listed all the cars it would fit.It went for 100 dollars.I am also curious about the durability of it,The guy gave me the bell housing and a 350 also.I was thinking of using it with the 350 but I don,t know how durable the trans is.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:13 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I recently sold a '57 3-speed Saginaw (small gearbox with a long tail) for $25. I'm guessing yours is about the same. It wouldn't be all synchronized for one thing and you might want to check the 1st gear ratio. Some were real low, especially for trucks.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

sell it to a circle tracker many classes don't allow berts or brinns and a 4 speed is not needed since most use high gear they will give ya a little coin for it.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

Good to know

Well it's good to know. Sounds like it will keep it's home under my bench until some one wants it. I was also thinking that it would make a good tranny for a rat rod, but i won't get that for a little while. Thanks for the replies.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-26-2005, 12:17 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

It makes a great tranny to mount BEHIND your four speed, or even auto. Take first and reverse out, or at least lock the shift lever in place. Only use the 2-3 shifter, can be connected to a HD choke cable. Connect so that pushed in is 3rd (1:1), pulled is second. Use the clutch to shift with a stick, let off the gas and coast to shift with an auto. Generally you don't use it going down the road -- put it in second at the strip, third to drive home. That's if you have the length underneath to do it. Then you can run 2.73-3.00 gear in the rear and still have a great drag ratio too! It's the "poor man's overdrive".

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.