63' chrysler 300 pacecar convertable..Speakers? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

63' chrysler 300 pacecar convertable..Speakers?

Any one have any creative sugestions on where I can fit some speakers in my chrysler? In the process of restoring (not to factory show) I am getting all of the interior redone, the door panels are trash, Im building this car to enjoy, not worried about minor modifications. Would like a nice stereo but the original only has 1 speaker in the center of the dash...Im looking for somewhere to put 4 speakers, Im stumped.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 10:54 PM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last journal entry: C4 IRS
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush
Any one have any creative sugestions on where I can fit some speakers in my chrysler? In the process of restoring (not to factory show) I am getting all of the interior redone, the door panels are trash, Im building this car to enjoy, not worried about minor modifications. Would like a nice stereo but the original only has 1 speaker in the center of the dash...Im looking for somewhere to put 4 speakers, Im stumped.
I'm not sure what one looks like....any pictures? Any room behind the seats/trunk?

Dave
Old 09-21-2008, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

The trunk as a big hump between the back seat and the trunk and the convertable top folds in behind the back seat and there is also a cone shape drain funnel that lays under the top behind the seat...

BTW, Pics are not my car. Just a really nice one that I have good shots of.
Mine will be done in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	J10.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	32616   Click image for larger version

Name:	J21.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	32617  
Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 AM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last journal entry: C4 IRS
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush
The trunk as a big hump between the back seat and the trunk and the convertable top folds in behind the back seat and there is also a cone shape drain funnel that lays under the top behind the seat...

BTW, Pics are not my car. Just a really nice one that I have good shots of.
Mine will be done in the spring.

So really....there isnt much room behind the seat is there? I could find places....under dash....maybe hide some behind the door panels....removing the fiber board but not the vinyl. Of coarse, wont sound as good without the perforations. Maybe even the filler panel beside the rear seat on both sides. That is a slick looking machine.

EDIT: I tried to find an article I had saved to my hard drive....about making perforations for speakers. Cant find it now. Seems they used a sort of hole punch (for leather working) and created a pattern to look similar to a factory speaker panel. When they were done it looked factory using thier existing door panels. If I was you I'd ask a good upholstery shop what they would do.

Dave
Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The normal places for speakers are behind the kick panels in the front, up under the dash and like Stovebolter said behind the two panels just in back of the doors next to the rear seat. you could also remove the rear seat and mount some speakers under it. As far as the holes in the vinyl, they are done with arch punches. Check out this thread to see how it's done: CLICK HERE You can call Crutchfield and ask them for suggestions on speakers and how to mount them. They are very friendly and willing to help. Good luck.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

Yea, not easy. The kick panel will not work, on te driver side there is some electronic gismos in there, and there really isnt any room anyway, the doors run the window so close to the inside shell and use most of the door when open, the side panels next to the back seats house the frame for the top and have a hyd. cylinder, that swings, I will look heremore closely, anyhow even if I can get it in there, the sound quality in a space that is open will prob. be poor.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I sincerely hope this is NOT a "letter series" 300. (300-J)

As the 63 is not all that common at all AND the 64 only had 400 copies.

However---for front speakers---if no AC---might try the vent openings

I did this with my 59----sealed the vent opening from the cowl air from the cowl side of the vent, and installed the speakers in the vent housing.

Speakers for the rear might be able to rest on top of the trunk floor, leaving room for the top to completely drop.

Bryan
Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

This is not a J car, it is a pacesetter. I will look at your sugesstions, I think I can also build a couple of boxes behind the rear seat, where the top folds in and modify the drip apron to cover that. I think there is enough room to fit it with the top folded in.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

You can not put in speakers and get a good sound without cutting,I put a system in my 55 Ford convertible and did not want to cut anything so I mounted two 3 1/2 inch speakers in the dash and mounted two 6X9s facing the rear backrest. With the top down and on the highway it has to be turned up all the way but when the top is up it does not sound too bad,I am thinking on adding a amp to get more sound but to get more sound the spealers have to be mounted where they function the best and on old convertibles there is not much that can be done. Mid 60s caddy convertibles had speakers mounted in the well and I think the 71 to 76 GM convertibles had them there too,I am looking for the speaker grilles from those to possibly mount them the same way in my 55 to get more sound. I was also thinking about mounting speakers in the front of the rear seat cushion making some plates to weld in the spring assembly but I dont think anyone could sit in the seats if they are mounted there but noeone rides in the back seat of mine any way. Jeff

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.