63 Fairlane suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2005, 10:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

63 Fairlane suspension

Is my 63 Fairlane the same suspension layout as a mustang from the same year? I'm asking because I want to upgrade the front sway bar to a bigger aftermarket variety.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,063 Times in 882 Posts
Ford didn't produce a Mustang in '63.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRLANE DUDE
Is my 63 Fairlane the same suspension layout as a mustang from the same year? I'm asking because I want to upgrade the front sway bar to a bigger aftermarket variety.
No. 62-65 Fairlanes/Meteors are unique both front and rear.

Use the 15/16 (one inch) sway bar from a 75-80 Granada/Monarch. $ 20 junk yard. It bolts on easily by using flat 5/16 steel plate about 6" square bolted on with the original sway bar holes and then redrill new holes inboard to mount the sway bar.... Granada end links, use urethane bushings.

Been there, done that.
63 Fairlane Owner.
x
Old 12-01-2005, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

appreciate that a fatter thicker bar can increase the "bam" in the ride for RR tracks, pot holes, etc. (harsher ride)

try just swapping to urathane bushings and end links first to see if that is enough additional roll control?

Last edited by red65mustang; 12-02-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
appreciate that a fatter thicker bar really increases the "bam" in the ride for RR tracks, pot holes, etc. (harsher ride)

try just swapping to urathane bushings and end links first to see if that is enough additional roll control?
I see this posted now and then, I personally don't believe it. I have added sway bars and or increased their size on many of my own cars over the years, I have never experienced the ride being harsher from the upgrades. I have experienced better roll control / flatter cornering.
Where I have seen the ride getting harsh is when spring rates are increased, stiffer shocks and performance tires are installed.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

1owner T,
I edited my comment to read "it can" cause a harsh ride (most often when the stock lower arms bushings/springs/shocks/strut rod bushings are all worn)

he didn't give any details,

nice thing about sway bars, you can tinker till you get what you like, mix and match end links( rubber/urathane), longer/shorter link bolt/more or less bushings (more/less dampening for tire wear), extra washers on the D side link for right rear traction, "loose links" for weight transfer
Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
I see this posted now and then, I personally don't believe it. I have added sway bars and or increased their size on many of my own cars over the years, I have never experienced the ride being harsher from the upgrades. I have experienced better roll control / flatter cornering.
Where I have seen the ride getting harsh is when spring rates are increased, stiffer shocks and performance tires are installed.
Anti-roll bars add spring rate independently to each wheel. If the wheels hit identical bumps at the same instant no additional spring rate is added. If onlly one hits that bump then that wheel gains spring rate by flexing the ar bar. The same rate increase happens when the body rolls and the suspension compresses. That end of the bar adds spring rate to that wheel to prevent that side from compressing while at the same time it REMOVES spring rate from the opposite side....

Don't go bigger rate than the Granada bar and use urethane. You will like it.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I admit that I am guilty of using a blanket to respond to red65's post. I should have said that it won't cause a harsh ride in the majority of your driving, UNLESS you spend your time behind the wheel on pothole filled roads or driving over RR tracks.
Especially on cars or trucks that had a small diameter bar or none at all, the positives outweigh the negatives.(unless you are four wheeling or drag racing.)
Old 12-04-2005, 01:05 PM

I like the idea of the Granada sway bar over the small stock one that I currently have, but I'm curious about where the newly located bushings are located and the asthetics of it? Are they still locted under the frame horns, but just slightly inboard?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,084 Posts
The bushing simply replace the original rubber ones. I personally like the "moderate" bar increase with urethane bushings on the frame and on ONE end of the link. This way you still have a rubber separation in the parts. Straight urethane can make it too harsh for me.

Going too big with the bar is a common mistake. You can't make up for old geometry with giant sway bars.I have found that decent bars with modern tires and gas shocks will make a world of difference in how the car handles.

Brian
Old 12-05-2005, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I like the idea of the Granada sway bar over the small stock one that I currently have, but I'm curious about where the newly located bushings are located and the asthetics of it? Are they still locted under the frame horns, but just slightly inboard?
post # 3.
You have to move the mounts inboard like the Mustangs, etc. are from the factory.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
The bushing simply replace the original rubber ones. I personally like the "moderate" bar increase with urethane bushings on the frame and on ONE end of the link. This way you still have a rubber separation in the parts. Straight urethane can make it too harsh for me.

Going too big with the bar is a common mistake. You can't make up for old geometry with giant sway bars.I have found that decent bars with modern tires and gas shocks will make a world of difference in how the car handles.

Brian
I have ALL urethane or polyurethane.. even the rear springs and shocks... don't remember which... Came from Performance Suspension Technology about 1995. I never had a squeek problem nor any harshness that I feel is excessive. Yes it is a little more than rubber, but not harsh by any means, and no real THUMP on big bumps. I also have eliminated the rubber cushions between the leafs and the rear axle.

With decent H speed rated performance tires the thing steers and handles great.

BFG Radial TAs in the popular S rating.... handle poorly and the car feels "wormy" / "sqirmy" on rolling roads and when driving in the "tire rut grooves" that semis make in the blacktop roads..... Hs don't do that. It is not the car, it is the tires.

Have 58,000 miles on it. 5.0 SFI 5 spd.

www.readershotrods.com drag cars/georges drag strip
Old 12-05-2005, 10:33 PM

O.K, I understand that the mounts have to be moved inboard, but does that mean under the stock front frame horn or does the new plate slightly introude into the engine bay if looking from above? If it's just moving the mount over an inch or so that's no big deal as I needed to fabricate a new mount because 1 of mine broke a bolt off and easy-outs did'nt work.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
O.K, I understand that the mounts have to be moved inboard, but does that mean under the stock front frame horn or does the new plate slightly introude into the engine bay if looking from above? If it's just moving the mount over an inch or so that's no big deal as I needed to fabricate a new mount because 1 of mine broke a bolt off and easy-outs did'nt work.
I would suggest re-reading my posts.
I would also suggest that you look at a gen 1 Mustang, 60s Falcon, 66-69 Fairlane, 70s Granada, Maverick, etc...
A flat plate can be used in lieu of making a bracket like that. You can bolt it or weld on the new bracket to use the Granada/ Mustang bars.......

or more simply you can buy a new specific 62-65 Fairlane bar and use the mounting you have... but you will have to repair that bolt hole.

Using the Granada bar and fabricating your own mounts saves about $ 100.

If I have to say "use grade 8 hardware on all suspension pieces" then you should seek professional assistance.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:27 PM

I read your posts and to be honest they still require clarification. The factory bolt holes are centered in the frame so a 6" piece of plate that you advise using would possibly intrude into the engine bay if it's located off to one side or the other when mounting the granada bar, which I assume mounts inboard in relation to a factory bar? My question which I feel is valid is weather or not the fabricated 6" piece of plate is visible from the engine bay when mounted.
Thanks

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.