63 fAIRLANE WHEEL BACKSPACING? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 09:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

63 fAIRLANE WHEEL BACKSPACING?

I am looking for guys who have fit 17-20 inch wheels on thier 63 vintage Fairlanes/mustang platforms and the backspacing that has worked for you. I am planning on running 18 x 7 inch fronts and possibly 20 x 8 inch rears on my 63 Fairlane.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Must NOT be a lot of Fairlanes of that year with LARGE rims....

I know that 15 inch rims have to be fairly narrow......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-19-2005, 08:36 PM

"Yeah" I thought that there would be a few of them out there!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:03 PM
63 Fairlane

Last photo:

hey, i have a 63!!!!!!!!! but i have not gone to big rims and tires. but look at this link. i have talk to the guy a few times, but then i haven't heard from him in a while............http://www.cardomain.com/ride/564258
he says quote: About the wheels and tires. I have 17x7(4.5/5) AR Torque Thrust II's wheels wrapped in WanLi 215/45ZR-17 tires on all four corners. I had to roll the inner fender wells a bit in the front so that I wouldn't chew the rubber. I'm currently rebuilding the entire front suspension (see page 2) and after that I shouldn't have any clearance problems. The only problem I still have is that I do rub tire on the rear sometimes if I take a corner to fast or hit a big dip in the road. I don't know if it is because the 7 inch wide tires are to big, or just because my leafs are shot. When I get the rear suspension rebuilt and at the right ride height (probably within the next 2-4 weeks) I will let you know if I am still having the same problems.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:06 PM
63 Fairlane

Last photo:

hey fairlane dude check out my photos...........by the way i don't see any of your photos.....i would like to see what your car looks like......
Old 09-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112jb
hey, i have a 63!!!!!!!!! but i have not gone to big rims and tires. but look at this link. i have talk to the guy a few times, but then i haven't heard from him in a while............http://www.cardomain.com/ride/564258
he says quote: About the wheels and tires. I have 17x7(4.5/5) AR Torque Thrust II's wheels wrapped in WanLi 215/45ZR-17 tires on all four corners. I had to roll the inner fender wells a bit in the front so that I wouldn't chew the rubber. I'm currently rebuilding the entire front suspension (see page 2) and after that I shouldn't have any clearance problems. The only problem I still have is that I do rub tire on the rear sometimes if I take a corner to fast or hit a big dip in the road. I don't know if it is because the 7 inch wide tires are to big, or just because my leafs are shot. When I get the rear suspension rebuilt and at the right ride height (probably within the next 2-4 weeks) I will let you know if I am still having the same problems.
Not much room on a 63-4. You need more backspace all around. The rear will stand 1 inch more backspace (5) than the front. If you do new rear springs, consider the late 64-65 spring that extends your wheelbase an extra 1/2 inch to 116 even. (the center bolt hole is farther back) That gives you extra clearance at the front of the wheel well. Driveshaft was the same length 63-65 but check it. Definitely do urethane bushings everywhere front and rear.
What spindles/brakes did you use on front?

Mine is 63 Fairlane HT with 5.0 HO fuelie, 5 speed with Magnum 500s.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:42 PM
63 Fairlane

Last photo:

wow, i wish i had known that, i just put new springs on mine. i would have loved to have gained more room between the front of the rear wheel weld. good thing to know.....i might go back and change it away.
thanks great tip.........we should talk....
Old 09-22-2005, 12:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112jb
wow, i wish i had known that, i just put new springs on mine. i would have loved to have gained more room between the front of the rear wheel weld. good thing to know.....i might go back and change it away.
thanks great tip.........we should talk....
That wheelbase was for nascar's 116 minimum. All Fairlanes got it.
Just take the springs apart and drill another hole in the main leaf. If you want to you can go as far as what looks good to you centering the tire in the wheel well. There is plenty differential clearance in the axle tub, but you will have to get a longer driveshaft if you go farther than 1/2 inch.
Clamp those forward leaves.

Lets talk first. send me a PM
Old 09-23-2005, 08:34 AM

I've seen guys in the magazines with 245/45/17 in the rear of a 64, so I'm thinking that a 215/45/17 with rubbing problems is likely a backspacing issue verses an width issue. I've heard that a 4.5 backspacing on a front with a 215 "ish"/45/17 tire fits fine and a 245 "ish" 45/17 with 4 7/8 backspacing works on the rear, but before I drop my cash and get a set of custom offset wheels I'm doing my research! Thanks for the info thus far though! Interesting comment about moving the rear spring location too!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRLANE DUDE
I've seen guys in the magazines with 245/45/17 in the rear of a 64, so I'm thinking that a 215/45/17 with rubbing problems is likely a backspacing issue verses an width issue. I've heard that a 4.5 backspacing on a front with a 215 "ish"/45/17 tire fits fine and a 245 "ish" 45/17 with 4 7/8 backspacing works on the rear, but before I drop my cash and get a set of custom offset wheels I'm doing my research! Thanks for the info thus far though! Interesting comment about moving the rear spring location too!
Don't forget that 12 lb. hammer. It helps

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.