Hot Rod Forum banner

63 impala eng/tranny recommendations

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  BogiesAnnex1 
#1 ·
I purchased a roller and am not a mechanic by no means. I have friends that can install setup - so that is not a problem. Would like to seek advice for different combinations of engines and tranny,carb,intake,camshaft,pistons,etc,. Leaning towards a short block 327 Ideally would like it to be street/strip and have 350 to 450 hp and run in 12s -What is lowest cost combination that would work? Checked CL and see may 327 engines available as well as a number of different intakes eldebrock scorpion (think it is single plane) also a bunch of rochester carbs are available for rebuild. Would really like to put in a 4 speed transmission - any recommendations? Have a lot of body work to do in the interim - trunk floor needs replaced. Any help is appreciated. Also if anyone is in Philly area - let me know.

#3 · (Edited)
It is do-able-I had a '63 SS Impala, 327, with a M-22 that did 11.8's back in the '80's-it was really a converted Pike's Peak race engine, very high strung, and was NOT street friendly, even with 4.88's (1300 idle, low vacuum, and was a real dog under 4000 rpm, but get it up around 6-7500 and whooee!)-

I would tend to agree that the shortest path is a 6.0/6.2 (for the money), but (can I say this?)I am really starting to tire of the whole LS engine thing in everything (it is, after all, a pretty ugly engine (IMHO)-

If ET's are your biggest issue (not gas mileage, long term reliability, etc), my vote is going big block (torque almost always wins)-

It is a lot of weight, and that X frame does not help-:nono:

60 Chevy Does A Twisted Wheel Stand - YouTube

http://youtu.be/OpTDLq-g7qw

#4 ·
That is a well known video but isn't completely the x frames fault for so much twist. It is a very poor chassis setup and they would get much better et's with a little bit of work. The only reason I think they leave it like that is the shock factor they get. :drunk:

#5 ·
Lemme see here.. 63 Impala = heavy car and we want 12's and not a lot of money.. H'mmm No substitute for cubic inches is what I think.. Say a 454 with some decent heads and roller cam could be kinda streetable and go into the 12 fairly easily and be in some kind of a budget..

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.