63 nova - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2004, 08:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How much would one of these bad boys cost? Just off hand..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 12:58 AM

3 on the tree

You can buy the shifter , linkage ; everything comes in box, : at any auto- parts store. Do you have some one to help that has installed a floor shift before? The stock trans is junk. No matter what you do it will be trouble ; Im not going to explain; believe me or find out the hard way. Get a later model ( syncromesh) 3 speed GM trans ; they are plentiful and cheep but are very good. Unbolt drive-shaft u bolts , pull out drive shaft, unbolt 4 trans bolts , get rid of trans . If clutch is good etc. bolt in later 3 or 4 speed , put drive-shaft back. Buy shifter kit ; read and follow instructions to install and adjust linkage . I believe most of us have been through this or similar . You should be able to do all of this for about a hundred dollars and it should just about pop into gear with 1 finger if you follow instructions. The second time will be a breeze. If you cant find what you need email me ; $ 100 plus shipping . musky70401@yahoo.com
Old 02-26-2004, 06:57 PM

Greaty advise Musky, Im gonna start lookin for a new tranny..I think it will be worth it..THANKS TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HELPED ME. IM GLAD TO BE APART OF THIS GREAT SITE
Old 02-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

If the tranny has been working alright up untill now, there is no reason to change it. Just get a shifter, bolt it on and start banging gears.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 02-26-2004, 10:47 PM

3 on the tree

If you have ever driven a 63 Chevy 2 with the original 3 speed tranny and now with it being probably 40 years old then I dont think just bolting a 3 speed floor shifter on will be satisfactory to anyone . It is not fully sycronized and even with a floor shifted 3 speed you will be crawling under the car and over the fender to un - jam the trans. in traffic even . Been there and trying to save him from being there . Well worth a hundred bucks not to be there. I wish I would had had someone to tell me this before I learned on my own .
Old 02-26-2004, 11:20 PM

Last photo:

The original post ask about the shifter. That is what every one has answered about. Nothing has been said about anything being wrong with the tranny.

If he really wants to update just because he broke the shifter, then he should put a nash 5 speed in that bad boy.

Troy

26 T sedan street rod
Old 02-27-2004, 11:00 PM

3 on the tree

I think 235 6 understands and appreciates what I told him. I believe helping out on this site is what it is all about. I also believe the trans is relevant to the question . ; and if you think not : do you have to be critical of my post , or you that worried about such a technicality.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:56 AM

Last photo:

We are supposed to be here to help. And when you have a few hundred people answering questions and giving advice there is going to be some disagreements. 235 has never seen a shifter with all the parts that go with it layed out, or he would not have been asking the questions that he did. The more you tell him the more confused he will be. There is nothing technical about the question or the installation of the shifter, they come with detailed instructions. Why would he need a new transmission? There isn't anything wrong with his., unless you are trying to sell him one.

That is just my opinion, just like your post is your opinion, most adults can state there opinions without getting into an argument.

Troy

26 T sedan street rod
Old 02-28-2004, 02:07 AM

235 6 3 speed on floor

No one knows for sure what 235 6 really needs but I stand by my posts : His trans is more than likely over 40 years old ; there is a good chance the shift handle broke from fatique and trans jamming and hanging up . I did say the original 63 Chevy 2 standard 3 speeds were junk but I will refraze that : By the time they are this old they are pretty worn out ,even if they have been shifted easily. When they wear the shift rods , linkage, arms etc wear and the trans will jam, then you will have to reach under or over rods to unjam and get neautral again. There is a very remote chance that tran will work satisfactory even with a new floor shifter installed. And I dont think it is anybodys business but 235 6 and me if I want to sell him a trans and shifter . The first thing I started out to do on my post was to help a 16 year old young man . The reason I told him I had the set-up for $100 dollars was to give him an idea what he can find . Im not trying to sell him this set -up I am in Louisiana , he lives i n Oregon ! If he wants a shifter ( brand new in box) just ask i ts yours. To me the trans. is too heavy to ship reosonably .

No one knows for sure what 235 6 really needs but I stand by my posts : His trans is more than likely over 40 years old ; there is a good chance the shift handle broke from fatique and trans jamming and hanging up . I did say the original 63 Chevy 2 standard 3 speeds were junk but I will refraze that : By the time they are this old they are pretty worn out ,even if they have been shifted easily. When they wear the shift rods , linkage, arms etc wear and the trans will jam, then you will have to reach under or over rods to unjam and get neutral again. There is a very remote chance that tran will work satisfactory even with a new floor shifter installed. And I dont think it is anybodys business but 235 6 and me if I want to sell him a trans and shifter . The first thing I started out to do on my post was to help a 16 year old young man . The reason I told him I had the set-up for $100 dollars was to give him an idea what he can find . Im not trying to sell him this set -up I am in Louisiana , he lives i n Oregon ! If he wants a shifter ( brand new in box) just ask i ts yours. To me the trans. is too heavy to ship reosonably .

Last edited by musky2; 02-28-2004 at 02:07 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.