63 nova discs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2004, 05:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

63 nova discs

i have a 1963 nova that i converted to 5 lug. it has early 80's Malibu 7.5 rear end and 65 nova front end. right now it has drums all the way around but i want discs all the way around. what stuff do i need to get to convert it to 4 wheel discs with this setup. i already know all the major places i can get disc brake conversions ( i ordered all my suspension parts from classicperform.com and have about 4 of there catalogs in my room along with lots of others like Chevy 2 only, nova parts, etc.). i don't want to buy a kit i want to do it from parts from other cars. i want it to stop as good as my dads mustang bullitt.any help is highly appreciated. thank you. by the way the car has late 80's z28 rims on it if that would help if you are wondering about clearance in side the wheel. by the way anyone with a first generation nova those wheels look great on my car and fit perfect with factory wheel wells, i have 205 50's on them and the wheel well doesn't look empty but my car is lowered.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2004, 12:36 AM

I have a 63 Chevy2 , Im going to bolt the disc. off of a late 70s Cadilac on it. On front Im going to put 65 Chevy2 steering parts and then bolt disc from 69-74Nova: Cut around 550 thousands off top boss that holds brake springs , then bolt on 74 Nova caliper bracket. If you need Cad. rear brackets let me know or Nova fronts. I have all the parts like rotors , calipers etc but you can buy all thse at any auto parts store, you cant get brackets there though.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:28 AM

i dont quite understand what you are using. what spindles are you using ? i think you are saying that you are using cadilac rear rotors and calipers and nova front rotors and calipers. thank you
Old 05-09-2004, 11:30 PM

63 disc.

On the 65 spindles : take off 5.50 -6.00 thousands of the top boss. The piece that holds the top brake springs . Now you can bolt on caliper brackets from 68-74 Nova or Omega , Skylark, Ventura, same family of cars. On the back , rear end : use late 70s ,early 80s Cadilac rear disc brackets . The Cad. has 5 inch bolt pattern wheels , but you can use or buy at auto parts stores rotors that came on 70s Camarros with rear discs. or the Trans Am special model , I cant think what they call it right now.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Don't the bolt patterns on the rear have to do with what the axles are and not the brakes?
Old 05-11-2004, 12:02 AM

63 disc.

Yes , the bolt pattern on the axle flange will accept the Cad. disc. caliper brackets , so just bolt them on and use stock calipers from donor car or buy replacement rebuilds. Its late at night when I get to answer any questions , so I get a little fuzzy. of course bolt pattern has to do with axles not brakes . thanks Mike

Reading back at my old post , I see what gettubbed was saying : about the axles and bolt pattern; what I meant was : the Cad. rotors wont fit the small GM pattern axles so you either replace with 6.6 Trans Am rotors or 70s rear disc Camarro rotors or drill Cad rotors to small 4 and 3 quarters bolt pattern. thanks

Last edited by musky2; 05-11-2004 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Great info! That's something that's going to be saved! Thanks!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.