63 Rambler rearend ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

63 Rambler rearend ?

What year make(s)/model(s) of rearends will fit a 1963 Rambler Classic best? I'm leaning toward a Ford 9", but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to get the best fit I can for the least amount of modifications...I'm not a fabricator! What types of mods will be necessary? I'd like to do the entire rear swap if possible (suspension, brakes, etc). as a complete unit. Is this even possible?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

What type rear suspension is it? It's been a while, but I have done mid sixties AMC cars and they were torque tube rear with coil rear spring.. Not a simple swap.. As for compatible leaf spring rear ends. S-10 is very universal..
Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

PM Farna. he has done this swap and knows what parts are needed.. it's not simple, but there are off the shelf parts that can be made to work. I think for a Monte Carlo IIRC... best rear is the AMC 20 from a '66 and later Classic/ Ambassador
Old 08-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

Yes, its tq tube and coil springs setup... but that will change.
I'm changing to a 327 sbc, haven't decided on tranny (its between a 700r4 and a 400). I'm not interested in dragging the car, just a nice street performer. I was just wanting to get some opinions on rears, what the easiest swap and if the whole rearend assembly could be swapped instead of having to piece it together.
I realize the engine and trans are chevy, the rear (possibly) is a ford, and the car is an AMC....I'm for equal opportunity in the reliability dept.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

AMC drivetrain is just as reliable as a SBC.. '67 and later V8's will bolt in with parts from a later car. and it won't kill the value of the car... a 360 or a 401 would really help move that car along, and nither is very hard to find as they came in Wagoneers.. pair that with the 700- R4 with an adaptor that is readily available

the rear suspension will need to be peiced togther. there is no suspension ( not even OEM AMC ) that will just bolt in place of the torque tube setup
Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

You might measure a rear end out of a hornet and if you get lucky, even an old S/C 360. They had Dana limited slip third members in them that will interchange with different model's of AMC. If I remember correctly, the hornets had a narrower axle than the other models. As far as the tranny, why not go with the TH350? It's lighter and has a lower first gear. TH 400's are heavier, and 700R4's get complicated with Tv cables and lock up controls. The TH350 is easily modified and installation with the sbc is simple.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Not saying the hornet will interchange but the fit under the rambler classic might be what your looking for.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

What is the overall width of the rear end? Will you be welding spring perches on the rear end and using the stock leaf springs?
Old 08-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

Friend of mine has a 64 Rambler wagon. He put a 8.8 rear out of a 1994 Ford Explorer, and used 4 link suspension set-up.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

I had thought about the explorer 8.8, but didn't know if it would fit. I have found lots of info on different Rambler models, but not much about 63 models. I'm not a Rambler expert, but I think the 63 year was somewhat of a transitional time for them. Some things on there are 'leftovers' from Nash, etc., some things from 64-up will fit, but so will some things leftover from Nash.
To answer one of the above questions: I have not measured the rear length yet. (Its 105 degrees here with 95%+ humidity, I'm not going to battle that!) As far as suspension goes (I know that goes under a different topic, but just to answer the question...) I haven't decided, I have several possibilities-4 link, coil-over, airbags. That will depend on whatever is easier with the rearend I end up choosing.
As far as the reliability of AMC, there's no question they're reliable, the parts are just difficult to find and expensive if you do find them. (My car had been parked for over 10 years, after a few teaspoons of marvel oil and several days of soaking, she turned right over!) I'd challenge anyone to do that on one of today's cars 50+ years from now!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
As far as the tranny, why not go with the TH350? It's lighter and has a lower first gear. TH 400's are heavier, and 700R4's get complicated with Tv cables and lock up controls. The TH350 is easily modified and installation with the sbc is simple.
I meant to include the TH350 in the possibilities, just forgot to. 700r4s are more complicated, but its a possibility only for mileage/driveability purposes. Although I doubt it will help noticeably, since the 327 has been bored 40 (and may go 60), has a 274 cam, and vortec heads. Not sure it would even be worth it to put in in there.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:53 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'm a big fan of the 700R4/4L60 trans, they work great in street and strip cars up to about 400~450 hp, and even further if properly modified. You can run a higher rear gear, and a higher stall speed lockup converter and have the best of both worlds, mileage and drive-ability AND performance,
Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Be sure to get all the parts of the rear end when/if you get one from another vehicle.

Drums or rotors, calipers or backing plate w/hardware, axles, brake lines, driveshaft- the works. There's no reason other than possibly the axle/wheel bolt pattern that all this can't be reused on your Rambler, as-is.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

The wheel bolt pattern is ford, which is why I was leaning more toward a ford rearend than others, less work when the front suspension is redone. I know they can be drilled, but I had rather not add yet ANOTHER thing to my list. There's plenty that needs to be done without adding anything else!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

I was intending on getting the whole rear assembly if it would work (or only require some basic mods), that's what I'm trying to find out. I know the driveshaft will have to be made.
So which rearend is better, 8.8 or a 9"? Uh-oh, here comes that can o' worms.... Maybe I should clarify.... Better for MY particular application and setup? Or are they both about the same in my case?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.