63 Stepside - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

63 Stepside

Well the ol '63 stepsides getting drug out tomorrow...

yep, the one i've been complaing about wanting to do since i joined here .... my buddy and i were contemplating digging out an old car that was my great grandmas.... a 61 newport.. but thers no tranny, needs a FULL resto..... well the JY i was in was in front of my house.. and we were walking to the JY behind my house to check out a Gran Torino... and we got to thinking about the '63..called my dad and asked if we could mess with it instead of dragging out the newport.. "sure go ahead "

this truck needs a FULL sand job and painting.
welding on the cab corners,
Drivers rocker
partial floor [go ahead with half pan since its 25 bucks]
lock and key set
Gas Tank [most expensive]
Shifter bushings

the parts list is growing and its up to 221 bucks...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I suspect it will be quite a bit more before you are done with it ..just try and make it a nice truck that runs good..any hotrodder needs a truck to chase parts with..

Sam
Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

yeahh... well the buddy whos house were taking it to [most likely] has sheetmetal and his dads good at welding and stuff.. so he'll help us.. and my dad too
Old 12-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

moving the
"draggin out " to today.. my buddy bailed on me.. and i cant get the igniton to work... [old problem] so idk if it'll run or not.. it also has a hot wire and a hidden swithc [electrical nightmare to be sorted out later] but an igniton is on the list of stuff to be replaced

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/l...06/1963%20C10/

Pix there..

spreadsheet V V V

Part Number Part Name Price
38-9090 LH Floor Half 29.95
38-9041 Inner Rocker Panel 8.95
38-9048 Outer Rocker Panel 39.95
36-0653 Ignition cyl. Set w/ keys 12.95
32-5921 Fuel Tank 20 Gal 129.95
38-9030 Lower Door Skin 24.95
38-9051 Cab Corner RH 19.95
38-9022 Inner Door Bottom LH 39.95
38-9023 Inner Door Bottom RH 39.95
34-4005 Brake Master Cylinder 49.95

Total: 396.5
Per Person 198.25 =
Old 12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

yeah.. progress.. i put a bettery in it.. then hit the hot wire switch and heard.. rurrr.. so i quit.. tried a little longer.. then thats all i got.. the hotwire from the coil is just a wire so it has to be held on to the terminal.. which the tranny is kinda stuck [needs shifter bushings] so i dont wanna put anyone in front of the truck or in any harms way..

after my dad gets home i may see if he'll come mess with it..

theres not a drop of gas in the gas tank and its rusty so it clogs the fuel filter... it may run for a little while with gas in the tank..
Old 12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

good luck on getting it running. If your gas tank is full of trash just unhook the line to the tank and run the line into a bottle of fresh gas. That is what me and my dad will do on old cars, not sure how safe it is though
Old 12-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

well my dad drove it to work like that.. just blew out the fuel filter before he left.. and it drove to where it is now..

i do that method too.. i have a snapper lawnmower tank that has a 2' line on the bottom of it i just wanted it to turn over.. tomorrow my plans are to hook up that gas tank, spray a little starting fluid in it and go with it.. if it runs great.. air in the tires.. and see what gear the trannys stuck in ..hopefully its 1!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

HE LIVES!

got it to run on gas poured in the carb... we were trying and trying.. couldnt get any spark..

and we were trying it and it just started sputtering.. and i was like.. holy crap.. is it doing that by it self..

"CUT IT OFF CUT IT OFF..."
"HOW?"...

haha its hotwired to a toggle switch [gotta get an igniton]

then i went and got some fuel line and tried to run it out of a gas can [cant find my gas tank] and it wouldnt work.. after 5 failed attempts again, wouldnt crank... then finally it did..
[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1leY9NswH0M ]

theres the vid of it running for its short period of time..

now.. plans are:
-air up tires
-Move it closer to the house
-take carb off and clean/rebuild
-aquire correct coil
-get a good charged battery
-get a master cyl.
and then i can drive it around..
then it needs
-Shifter bushings
-Gas Tank.. and i'll be able to drive it where ever[my buddys house with the welder ]

-Walkaround vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R44e2Grjn6g
Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

cool. It's always fun to hear them run for the 1st time
Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

yeh.. first time hearing it run in a WHILE... i'm a try and get it close to the house tom. or thurs.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

well my dad wouldnt let me mess with it until i fixed my boat.. and couldnt move it till it had brakes.. back to the boat well its in like 3 pieces and no floor.. i cant fiberglass the coner back ..and he wont let me put the top back on till its fiberglassed.. so thats all we can do

so anthony [buddy helping] and i went and bled the brakes.. and got them workin.. and my grandpa came for my brothers birthday and said my uncle had some crap for it... we came back with alot of alum. trim that dosent fit, a NICE set of rocker trims, two sets of weatherstrip..or maybe enough to do the doors.. and a gauge cluster.. the speedo is broke [needle broke off] but it has a good bezel with marks, then the actuall metal is in great shape. tomorrow were gunna strip it and probally prime it just for the fun of it.. and see how it looks on the truck with our planned colors..
Once we get it moved plans are

Carb off and rebuilt, gas tank [try and clean it with the rock method ] and then rebuild the shifter box.. and it should be iight to drive at least to my buddys house with the welder

oh..also.. i have a little metal shed next to my house for random stuff.. junk, lifejackets la la.. well the doors are off of it.. and the wind blew it over and when we went to go flip it back.. i found my gastank
Old 01-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Todays progress
1/1/09
Gas tank washed out and put rocks in it to get rust out and it didnt work so well ... still lots of rust.. found a small leak in the bottom too...
My uncle that owns the motorcylce shop [Mike] has a 64/65 ? panel truck like mine so i go to him for help on stuff and he said a few years ago he got a tank "vatted" at a radaitor shop and it was like 80 bucks.. a whole lot short than the 150 +20 ship for the gas tank from LMC but i'm not sure how current the prices are on that..

I also found out today its stuck in 2-N-3 not R-N-1 .. which therefore you must pull it to you to change the gears.. which its very hard.. i read online someone else had the same problem with their '65 and it was grease that hardened and packed all in it. the little nipples that engage the gears do need to be welded a little to help it change easier.. but anywho, i still have to get it apart unfortunately.. thus meaning :
Steering Wheel to be removed to get that done[ cant get it off... dont have a puller either]
once i'm inside;
cleaning and lubing of shifter mechanism
Replacing shifter bushings
replacing turn signal system [ dry-rotted]
lubing steering shaft
Sanding/painting column while i'm there..
New flex disc [maybe] on steering box
Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06
I also found out today its stuck in 2-N-3 not R-N-1
If the immediate goal is to get the trans into neutral so that you don't have to worry about getting run over ...

Crawl under the truck and try TAPPING the shift levers directly on the transmission to the center position. If it takes a LOT more than tapping to get them to move, you may have to loosen off the shift rods that lead to the column first. When you get both levers to the center position, you should be in neutral.

EASE out the clutch (with the wheels chocked) and then you'll know for sure.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Todays Progress:
1/02/09
Got the carb apart and into 3 main pieces and then the little parts.. I've gotta go to pick up my ordered re-build kit tomorrow morning from NAPA and get that back together tomorrow if i can get the rest of the gunk clean out of the bowl and the outside pretty clean.Were looking to spray it a metalic bronze
Also got the collumn apart today. LOTS of pieces... I hope we can get it back right but anywho, i've got all the metal wire-wheeled and to be primed tomorrow and painted gloss black. I'm also going to paint the trim ring for the gauge panel too. Only thing I havent messed with yet is the shifter lever. I'm probally going to wire wheel that and paint it chrome. Next part on the list is to buy the turn signal repair kit. The "****" for the shifting mechanism are worn about halfway down from where we suspect it should be.The bottom lever is bent in a little so it'll have to be bent back and as soon as we can get it welded and the turnsignal back in it'll be ready to go back in. I'm still un-sure if were going to replace the flex disc for the steering box

The steering collumn was laying on my picnic table at that time but we knew where neutral was by playing with it. its just another manual tranny so you can "feel" it [if your a real car guy] when it drops out of gear so we did that and it worked

One detail i forgot to mention in yesterdays post; I broke the brakeline from the master cyl. to the splitter for the front. luckily its only the 2 foot line. The brake shop in-town said to bring it in and they may can re-flange it for me
Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
"Love what you do for a living

Last photo:

This mabey a stupid question but did your tranny have any fluid in it? I had a problem like yours with my MG and it turned out there was less than 1/4 the amont of fluid it should of had to run OK.

But I guess as my grandpa used to say remember in life there is no stupid questions jus stupid people.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.