$64.000 Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

$64.000 Question

I have an identity problem and need the assistance of the hotrodders at large. I have a 23 T Bucket that has a torn motor mount bracket and I cant find out what or where it came from. The T frame was built before i aquired the car, and the owner who did the fabrication just took the mount off the shelf and cant remember what it was originally for. The rubber isolator is part of the frame bracket, so i think it a GM and after 1972 or so. I am trying to find a replacement so i dont have to drill or weld the powdercoated frame and mess up a good car. i have attached a couple pics. so Im asking all the gearheads if they can remember seeing these mounts, or something similar, on any cars in the past. Any help would sure be appreciated,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	74731   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	74732   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	74733  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Can't say I ever seen one..
Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Me either. There's a 90% chance its a small block mount, Google Ford small block motor mounts, Chevrolet small block motor mounts, etc., lots of pictures will come up, sift through them. If a picture caption doesn't show the specifics, it will probably show where the mount is from.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Parts house picture books

If you can find a Real parts house that still has the old books. you can go thru the picture section, You didn't say what engine you have. mount separation was a problem in the old days. I have welded an chunk of iron strap for left hand mounts after breaking a few rubber pieces. later replacement parts that meet Fed Regulations have a thru safety rivet to hold the engine in place. 60's Gm cars would let the engine move and lock up the steering shaft when the mounts broke. You might be able to seperate the frame mount piece and adapt a later mount to it so you don't mess up your paint.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

mount

it does look like a early chebby mount.. i used something similar when i built my bucket (sold) but i don't recall the name either. it would have been in my build book...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help.....i have a 1974 buick 305 w/T350 trans and 373gears. Everytime you stop, i put it in Neutral to keep the charging system at 14 V, so it jumps a bit when shifting into Drive.

Im pretty sure its a GM mount for the earlier cars, but ive wore out the search buttons and havent gotten lucky yet. I was hopeing someone could get me to the right car, or even year to getbit replaced.

This is the Frame Bracket with the rubber isolator,,,,,,the engine mount is solid and no isolator. As i said above, i can get this welded and make it solid, but im concerned about the load on the frame if its a solid mount. Not thr HP ,,,the torque when shifting duringbstop and go traffic......

Thanks again, and keep looking thru those older build books......somebody has seen this before! ! ! !
Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 AM
boatbob2

mount id.

IF you look very close,at the rubber on that mount,theyre MAY be a part # on it...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers1948 View Post
Thanks for the help.....i have a 1974 buick 305 w/T350 trans and 373gears. Everytime you stop, i put it in Neutral to keep the charging system at 14 V, so it jumps a bit when shifting into Drive.

Im pretty sure its a GM mount for the earlier cars, but ive wore out the search buttons and havent gotten lucky yet. I was hopeing someone could get me to the right car, or even year to getbit replaced.
Do you mean a Buick 350, or a Chevy 305 that may have come out of a Buick?

In any case, that's NOT a GM frame mount. That's a rubber motor mount that normally bolts to the side of the block. Whoever built your car may have bolted it to the frame instead, but it's not a frame side mount. The only GM frame-side mounts with rubber are the Chevy "clamshell" mounts, where the metal outer shell totally encircles the rubber to prevent exactly the failure you have.

Also, the mount you have is pre-1969. All GM factory mounts since 1969 have incorporated integral interlocking tabs to prevent EXACTLY the separation you have. There was a massive recall in the late 1960s because of this problem. Old-style mounts that were simply a rubber block between two pieces of metal were coming apart, and with the solid metal throttle linkage of the day, the throttle would jam open when the broken driver's side mount allowed the engine to torque over.

The mount you have looks like either a Buick or Olds motor mount.

Here's the Chevy clamshell frame mount:

Here's a Buick motor mount for the 1961-63 215 aluminum V8 motors that bolts to the block in the stock application. Note that all motor mounts today are larger and have the interlocking feature, so they don't look exactly like old ones:

Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Joe_padavano. I think you have found the golden egg. It sure looks like the Buick engine mount in your reply, and if its close I can make it work.

Thanks again Joe !
Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Final note,,,,joe it is a Olds Buick mount,,,specifically for the Aluminum 215ci V8 just as you said....isnt this place WONDERFUL,,,,Joe, i owe you a beverage of your choice,,,,Hope you are close to Dallas Tx,,,,If not Ill just have to send it by T Bucket.....Again many thanks,,,,Nick
Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers1948 View Post
Joe_padavano. I think you have found the golden egg.
So long as I didn't LAY an egg...

Glad to help. Hope that works out for you.

By the way, the beverage would be nice, but I was kinda hoping for the $64,000.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.