64 chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

64 chevy

I'm putting a 86 5.7 TBI IT WAS IN A VAN IN MY 64 C10 STEPSIDE PICKUP. I'VE GOT THE ECM AND ALL THE WIRES. MY PROB IS WHEN THEY PULLED IT THEY CUT IT SOME WIRES ARE THE SAME COLOR AND I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FIGURING THIS OUT. WHAT DOES IT NEED TO RUN I DONT WANT THE EXTRAS LIKE AC, JUST WHAT IT NEEDS TO RUN, ANY SUGGESTIONS OR MAYBE LINKS THAT COULD HELP, I'VE SPENT WAY TO MUCH TIME ON IT AND HAVE NOTHING DONE, PLEASE HELP,
THANKS MR.JONES

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 PM

sorry

I know some of the pins can be wired together to delete stuff like the neutral safety switch, or something like that does anyone have info on this, my main prob is the harness got cut, if I can not rewire some of them and tie some together would avoid a headache. It's a nightmare, it's a 86 5.7 tbi with a 700r4, I'm sure some of you have done similar operations. My whole family and some friends say I can't do it I'm stupid, to put a carb on it this that and the other thing. I would like to prove them wrong. Please help if you can, please don't steer me in the wrong direction though.

Last edited by 64stepside86tbi; 11-15-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: didn't add ecm # 1227747
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

64 chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64stepside86tbi
I know some of the pins can be wired together to delete stuff like the neutral safety switch, or something like that does anyone have info on this, my main prob is the harness got cut, if I can not rewire some of them and tie some together would avoid a headache. It's a nightmare, it's a 86 5.7 tbi with a 700r4, I'm sure some of you have done similar operations. My whole family and some friends say I can't do it I'm stupid, to put a carb on it this that and the other thing. I would like to prove them wrong. Please help if you can, please don't steer me in the wrong direction though.
I don't have a wiring diagram for this, but I will tell you, don't bypass the neutral safety switch, it is there for just the reason it states, so your car won't start in gear. Post this on the electrical thread someone will help.

35terraplane

Live everyday like it's your last, one will
Old 11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

Check out the www.chevythunder.com for the ECM wiring diagram and some interesting info.
If I were going to tackle this I would purchase a shop manual for the specific donor truck the engine is from. www.alldatadiy.com is a good source.
In the mid eighties GM was in the process of converting from carburetors to fuel injection and it was confusing which vehicles had what system.
The ECM #1227747 was used in many different trucks. It may be necessary to get the VIN# from the donor truck.
You will need to have all the sensors connected for the engine to run correctly.
If you have the exhaust manifolds still on the donor engine the oxygen sensor may still be on them.
With the proper diagrams and shop manual data this should not be a big job. Trial and error won't work.

vicrod
Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Thanks

Thats where I'm at, It wouldn't have been a big job if the dang harness wasn't cut, Theres like 3 of the same browns it's just confusing, I'll get it. I guess I was lookin for someone to say yeah these pins can go together all these pins are ground, ya kno a easy way out. I've got half back together, I do have the manifolds from donor, everything from it, no vin though, unless it's on the motor and I don't kno it. I've ran the motor it's a canada made 4 bolt. I found the diagram your writing about, they say 88 though not sure if it's the same, seems to be so far. I just need it done and wanted some pointers. The n/s switch is not necessary, it never had one, don't need one unless it's built in the trans I don't think so, I'm not gonna wire a lil switch 4 that it is a 64 and it's automatic if I start it in gear I'm the dummy that knows better nobody else will be drivin my baby. I want it to be as simple as possible, but correct as far as the needed sensors, like o2 egr tps ext. Thanks

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.