64 Chevy Impala wiring question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

64 Chevy Impala wiring question

Ok so I have a bbc w hei in a 64 Impala well got an aftermarket mini starter cant for the life of me figure out the electrical problem im having. I "thought" you just run the wire from the ignition to the switched post on the solenoid and do away with the other wire. Well, I have traced the wires and there is a splice in the purple wire coming from the ign switch that is going into the eng compartment well I thought thats the wire that I needed. I hook up the starter with the batt cable and the said wire above and get nothing. Coming from the bulkhead i have a purple,and a black wire w/insulation on the outside that was part of the old wiring to the starter. I thought it was the starter but I had brought it down to the local parts store and that thing works fine, so its in my wiring? Can anyone help a Kid out. and I am sorry if this is a stupid thread so please don't bash me. Thanks for your time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM

I recently did this on a '69 Chevelle. From what I remember, their is the main wire from the battery(this one should be painfully obvious) and then I only used one of the smaller wires while disregarding the other. My guess is that if you're not getting anything, use the other wire that you're not currently using.

Oh! I'm also remembering that the starter had a terminal on it that did not end up having a wire attatched to it. Double check the wiring diagram that came with the starter and make certain the connections you made are correct. Maybe even post it up for us to see.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

The purple wire is from the start position on the ignition switch. When the ign. sw. is turned to start, 12 volts should be on this wire at the starter S terminal.
The other terminal on the starter is for the point type distributor and is not used on the HEI.
If no voltage is on the purple wire and there is 12 volts at the ign. sw. then the ignition sw. is bad, the neutral safety sw. is bad or needing adjustment or there is bad connection between the ign. sw. and the starter.
Another test is to jumper between the battery + terminal and the S terminal on the starter to see if the starter is good.

vicrod
Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

I hate electricity
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You will also need a hot wire in run and start to feed the HEI. The original wire to feed it in run will not supply enough voltage to keep the HEI happy.

Chet
Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM
life is a ride

Last photo:

You need to learn to LOVE electricity. Embrace it because----
It runs everything!!!

vicrod
Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
You will also need a hot wire in run and start to feed the HEI. The original wire to feed it in run will not supply enough voltage to keep the HEI happy.
Thank you but i did know that just having issues with the starter right now.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
You need to learn to LOVE electricity. Embrace it because----
It runs everything!!!

vicrod
I know I was just being ignorant cause I dont know alot about it. Thanks for all the replies going to get a meter out and test the wires cause I am leaning towards bad ign switch but willknow more when the old man comes down and helps me out. Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
The purple wire is from the start position on the ignition switch. When the ign. sw. is turned to start, 12 volts should be on this wire at the starter S terminal.
The other terminal on the starter is for the point type distributor and is not used on the HEI.
If no voltage is on the purple wire and there is 12 volts at the ign. sw. then the ignition sw. is bad, the neutral safety sw. is bad or needing adjustment or there is bad connection between the ign. sw. and the starter.
Another test is to jumper between the battery + terminal and the S terminal on the starter to see if the starter is good.

vicrod
Ok on my original post I have what looks like an added wire its spliced under dash to the purple wire from the harness under the dash which is ran from the ign switch to the neutral ssafety switch, then i have a purple and a black insulated wire (think the resistance wire) the added wire is the one that should be the wire thats hooked up to the starter solenoid right? also when you say the neutral safety switch needs adjusting , how do you do that? i do apologize
Old 02-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64r1
I know I was just being ignorant cause I dont know alot about it. Thanks for all the replies going to get a meter out and test the wires cause I am leaning towards bad ign switch but willknow more when the old man comes down and helps me out. Thanks again!
It is more common for a NSS to go bad or a wire to be broken than an ignition switch failure.

Generally you have the start wire from the ignition, (heavy purple) to the NSS and from there to the starter.
Start by turning the ignition to start and see if the ignition switch is working by checking for power on the start wire, if it is check both sides of the NSS for power with the key in start (an assistant will be very helpful), if this checks good then the wire from the NSS is bad or the starter is no good.
Are you sure the starter works. You can test it by jumping the small terminal to the large stud to see if it cranks.
You said "aftermarket starter", its not one of those $49 chrome ones is it. They have a very high failure rate.

Chet
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Nope not a cheap starter and yea it works. well, after replacing the nss, and ign switch still got nothing grabbed a volt meter and seen a problem well it was the purple wire coming of the neutral safety switch it was broke lol. Oh well atleast I didnt drop any 'real' money in it before finding out it was a simple fix. Anyway another question, I know the HEI needs a constant 12v source to run properly, my question is can I run a 12 gauge wire from an unused circuit on the fuse block? I have 2 ignition posts not used on the panel will that work to supply the HEI?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 PM
life is a ride

Last photo:

HEI can be powered from the fuse block IGNITION ON section.

vicrod

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.