64 GP 389 fluttering - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 PM
64 Grand Prix 389

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

64 GP 389 flutter problem-help

Hi all,
Make a long story short. Recently bought a 64 GP that was sitting for about 10 years with very little use.
It had an electronic fuel pump on it making a ton of whiny racket, just replaced with the original mechanical pump today. Was at 10 pounds of pressure with the elec. (tested it), now at 6-7 with the new pump. 389 is original except they put a 650 Edelbrock.
Trans is kinda slushy, but here's the problem... this is hard to explain. When you are driving, could be during acceleration or just at constant speed, the car almost hops/flutters for lack of a better way to describe it.
At first we thought it wasn't getting enough fuel that it was almost cutting out but then it seemed as though it was flooding itself, def running rich. So we got rid of the noise-monger elec fuel pump which had to go anyway. It is definitely running better, but it hopped again on me when I got on it. It almost always seems to happen in 2nd so now we are wondering if it is the trans. We're going to replace the modulator next as it seems like it could be vacuum related. I was hoping someone may have experienced the same type of thing (I know I described it so well as hopping-lol)

Advertisement

Last edited by kiddoclyde; 04-25-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Shortened text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 09:10 PM
64 Grand Prix 389

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A very smart man named John had a great idea. He said the trannies on these are very fickle, that I need to make sure the fluid is where it should be otherwise it can cause the symptoms I have been having! Sure as ****, down almost 1qt! Crossing my fingers that does it.

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 04-25-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.