64 Impala Horn Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

64 Impala Horn Problem

Just bought a 64 Impala. The horn doesn't work. Got to checking and the wires to the horn had been disconnected. Thought, cool, just plug them in. I did that, still no horn. Traced them down to a horn relay and it was unplugged. Cool, just plug that in. When I did the horn started blowing all the time. Decided I needed a new relay. Ordered it, got it in, put it in. When I plugged in the horn it started grunting like it was working off a dead battery and the relay was clicking and getting hot. That's where I'm at. Thought I might pull the steering wheel and recheck the contacts but I have had it off and everything seemed to be in good working order. Any input would be great. I also have found that the front driving/parking lights aren't working. Has the 1157 bulbls but only the turn signals work. Everything else on the car works as suppose to. Any help here before I start digging would be great.
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2006, 02:05 PM
urGTO=LEGEND myTEMPEST=CLASSIC

Good Investment

I had the same problem with my tempest, i thought it was the horns but it wasnt then i found out it was the relay so i changed that, then it still wasnt working after i changed that so i took apart the buttons and the ground was bad so i wire brushed the area the contact touches then it was fine BUT let me tell you what really helped me and always helps me with any electrical problem is a volt meter. Trust me i got one at kragen for ten bucks and it saved me a lot of hair pullin tryin to figure electricy out.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

The park lamps on that car turn off when the headlights are on.
So you might want to check again with the headlight switch in the park pos.

As for the horn----might look into a bad wire in the column, sounds like it may be lightly grounding somewhere in the column. The new relay may not be properly grounded--or bad.

Just ran into a similar bad part issue with my neighbor's 64 Belvedere, Faulty new voltage regulator had a bad connection inside causing the battery to drain while driving.

(not really an electrical guru---just use some common sense when looking for somethin)

Bryan
Old 09-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Pull the plug off the bottom of the column. Isolate the Horn Button wire (on GM should be the smaller gauge black about 3 in from the edge.)

With a DVOM, Set for OHMS, R X 1, Calibrated for 000, Measure the wire from there to ground. It should be infinite. If it is, Then Push the horn, it should read 000, Do this test while moving the wheel a lot..(you need to grow a third hand for this operation.. ) It should remain in it's prior state Without jumping around..(I.E. 000, or Infinite) If it does not, you have some column harness issues you need to address.

If Good , Inspect the harness where it goes through the firewall, Look for a pinch/Melt point, and If required, remove the tape and inspect..The same applies to the firewall plug..Clean and burnish ALL the pins and the plug carrier / Body, and insure it seats properly..You may find BOTH problems this way.(and both may be the same problem!)

The horn relay is simple, It is just the relay coil internally wired to constant power where the BATT wire goes..The Relay Coil Ground is the horn button. The Normally open (and usually the only other Contact) Is the horn Itself.

To test from the horn FORWARD..just remove the ground from the relay, and ground it..The horn should blow..If so it's fine.l The problem will exist between the relay and the column harness.Troubleshoot and repair as required!

BRyan Is correct about the park lamps,Recheck in "Park" Detent only..you may not have a problem at all..If they won't function, the usual , (after poor Bonding) Is The switch being worn or bad in that position only..

Let us know!

Have a Happy & Safe Labor Day!

Doc
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

Place to start

Thanks for the help. I'll start running these things down next time I get her in the garage. The front parking lights aren't working at all. Had my fingers crossed when I found out they aren't suppose to work with the headlights on, but no luck. Is there a way to check the relay to see if it is bad? I'll want to send it back if that's the case.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
The park lamps on that car turn off when the headlights are on.
So you might want to check again with the headlight switch in the park pos.

Bryan

you've got to be ****ing me!!!!!!!!!!! i have been trying to track down the reason my parking lights go out when i put the headlights on in my 66 impala for god knows how long..... i couldnt find a problem and eventually replaced the headlight switch. boy was i mad when it didnt fix the problem so i guess there is no problem....i will now be able to sleep at night
Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by helrazr3
you've got to be ****ing me!!!!!!!!!!! i have been trying to track down the reason my parking lights go out when i put the headlights on in my 66 impala for god knows how long..... i couldnt find a problem and eventually replaced the headlight switch. boy was i mad when it didnt fix the problem so i guess there is no problem....i will now be able to sleep at night

One of these days I'm going to rewire things or customize the headlight switch so those parking lights stay on when the headlights are on. It ought to just be that way. I already have relays for the headlights and did the Mad Electrical New System mods a while ago, so I know it can handle the extra load.

I've always wondered why they designed it like that, maybe somebody here knows.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:59 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

that is just to funny i really cant believe it after all that head scratching i did.

i really hope i get the car back together this year i really want to drive it next summer.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:14 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last photo:

I actually used a switch for a 70's model GM in the 59, so my park lamps
stay on with the headlights.

Another way on an older switch may be to splice into the taillights at the switch??

Bryan
Old 09-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

66CAPRICE..

There used to exist a law in most states that said: "Park lamps Shall NEVER be illuminated while the vehicle is in motion"

I assume that is why they did that...it has since changed now they want all the light you can provide!

IF you want park lamps lit when the headlights are on, AND they are not single element Park ? turns..then you can simply jump them to the headlight low beam wire at the bucket.they will go out when you switch to highs but you won't be able to see them anyway..

IF they ARE single element Turn / Park..you need to go through the turnsignal switch for isolation OR install a duel element (1157) lamp arrangement for the fronts..the lower filament being the parkers and the higher element being turn signals..

Doc
Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Doc here,

66CAPRICE..

There used to exist a law in most states that said: "Park lamps Shall NEVER be illuminated while the vehicle is in motion"

I assume that is why they did that...it has since changed now they want all the light you can provide!

IF you want park lamps lit when the headlights are on, AND they are not single element Park ? turns..then you can simply jump them to the headlight low beam wire at the bucket.they will go out when you switch to highs but you won't be able to see them anyway..

IF they ARE single element Turn / Park..you need to go through the turnsignal switch for isolation OR install a duel element (1157) lamp arrangement for the fronts..the lower filament being the parkers and the higher element being turn signals..

Doc

They are single elements. I have some 56 connects somewhere and will tinker around soon as it cools off here a little more.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last photo:

Are you SURE they are single element bulb???
They should be 1157 or 1157a---same as the taillights.
Not too sure how the park and turn can use the same element (I think NOT)

I think my switch is for a 76 era car--these are not too pricey
Get one from a salvage with the connector pretty cheap.
I did this just to meter the positions to see what was on in diff. positions.
Anyway get another connector for the switch.
and wire like so. (see attatchment)

Could be you have a broken wire in your park circuit, if you have no park lamps at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hl switch.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	14715  
Old 09-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
Are you SURE they are single element bulb???
They should be 1157 or 1157a---same as the taillights.
Not too sure how the park and turn can use the same element (I think NOT)
Whoops! You're right, I looked and they are the dual element bulbs. My mistake for not checking first!
Old 09-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last photo:

Oh
The drawing I posted is from a Centech kit---so colors may not match what is in your car.

Dave-----sorry we hijacked this--- ---at least we are still on the park lamps Get your horn working????

Bryan
Old 09-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

HEre is your 66 park light diagram...

Duel element...Purple is the parkers..

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.