65 in 4 wheel drive? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 11:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

65 in 4 wheel drive?

i took the jeep off road yesterday and when i went to take it out of 4wd low, i put it in 4wd high instead of 2wd high.
anywho, i went home, parked it yadda yadda yadda.....
woke up this morning, had to go to Grand Prairie (about 30 minute drive) to fill out an app.
on the way there it seemed like my jeep was handling better and as i tried to park at the place i felt the front tires grabbing and realised that the damn thing was still in 4wd.

i was just curious if thats hard on the transfer case driving hwy speeds in 4wd high or not?

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 11:36 AM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

you should be ok its not advised that you use four wheel drive on pavement but 1 trip is ok besides its when you make turns that you have a problem cause the front wheels want to spin at the same speed and they tend to bind thats why you feel it when you make a turn
Old 01-17-2005, 11:49 AM

Last photo:

thanks..
the main reason for me asking is because of this strange weather we've been having.
just curious, say if there was ice or snow if it was all right to cruise around in 4wd.

thanks again
Old 01-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

keep the hubs engaged

Quote:
Originally posted by akm
thanks..
the main reason for me asking is because of this strange weather we've been having.
just curious, say if there was ice or snow if it was all right to cruise around in 4wd.

thanks again
What I do with mine is keep the hubs engaged and use the 4wd as necessary..if you are in 4wd and 0n ice it can get pretty exciting real quick..ask me how I know..

As far as running on pavement in 4wd..probably not the greatest idea..unless you have a full time type 4wd..but probably not going to ruin anything either..

OMT
Old 01-17-2005, 12:22 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

yea if its snowing out its perfectly fine thats what its there for you can go anywhere in 4wheel high as long as there is snow on the road so the wheels can slip a little
Old 01-17-2005, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

Re: keep the hubs engaged

Quote:
Originally posted by OneMoreTime
What I do with mine is keep the hubs engaged and use the 4wd as necessary..if you are in 4wd and 0n ice it can get pretty exciting real quick..ask me how I know..

As far as running on pavement in 4wd..probably not the greatest idea..unless you have a full time type 4wd..but probably not going to ruin anything either..

OMT
yeah, mine doesn't have locking hubs, so i guess its the same as having the hubs locked.

i thought that 4wd was better to have in icy conditions, but i can see how it wouldn't be.

sooo how do you know?
Old 01-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

How do I know?

Well on compact ice and snow or black ice if you spin the tires (all four spinning) you have just lost all control over where that thing is gonna go..Then you can go for a ride through the ditch..the barbed wire fence..and the farmers field..then you get to learn more about fixing things..Learned that one the hard way..

Thats the thing about 4wd..it is great in heavy snow or mud but can get one in a lot of trouble before you can say whoa Nelly on the ice..

OMT
Old 01-17-2005, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

Re: How do I know?

Quote:
Originally posted by OneMoreTime
Thats the thing about 4wd..it is great in heavy snow or mud but can get one in a lot of trouble before you can say whoa Nelly on the ice..

OMT
i didn't know that.. thanks for the heads up
Old 01-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

On my Toyota I would lock the hubs in when the first snow fell and would not unlock them until Spring. Then just put it in 4wd when needed. The only thing leaving it in 4w high is when you turn it plays heck on the tires sliding them. By that I mean like when you park it. You should have no problems running in 4w high or caused it any problems. It's a lot easier on it running on the road than it is off road anyways. The worst thats gonna happen is shoot your gas mileage all to hell.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:46 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I know guys who leave it engaged all winter.

You know what I did that wasn't to smart. I pushed the button for 4 wheel high in my moms Blazer at about 45mph. It wasn't the smoothest engagement.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
I know guys who leave it engaged all winter.

You know what I did that wasn't to smart. I pushed the button for 4 wheel high in my moms Blazer at about 45mph. It wasn't the smoothest engagement.
Those shift on the fly boxes are supposed to be able to be shifted all the way up to like 60mph. You can go as fast as you want in 4hi in pretty much any truck. If your mom's transfer case is making noise shifting in and out, there's something wrong with it.

K
Old 01-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

My mom has a Blazer like yours,the trans has gave them all kinds of hell,the shift on the fly has worked flawlessly from what they have told me.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:46 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

My 68 Bronco half cab spent it's first 25 years in Wyoming and Utah. I would lock the hubs when the snow came down in powder form and never unlocked them until the wet snow started falling in the Spring. There were not many times the transfer case was out of 4 wheel Hi and lots of time there were long trips in the 60-70 mph range. Trips like to NE Montana, up into the Uintas for snowmobiling and just going to and from work. Crusing on snow packed roads was just another driving condition. The old Bronco now has 220,000 miles and the only part of the drive train that has been replaced is two sets of drive shafts and the tranny. The drive shafts were because the CVC joints did not get proper lubrication and it was almost as cheap to replace the entire shaft as to replace the u joints and CVC joints (great outfit called Six States Drive Lines did those) The tranny went out because the pilot bearing backed out of the crank shaft and let the tranny input shaft shake the bearing to death.

I differ slightly on the use of 4 WD on ice and snow. My thoughts and experience says use it!! Having the front pulling and rear pushing obviously reduces wheel spin and if you have one leggers, seldom will all four spin, thus directional control is more stable. Now when it comes to stopping time, let the engine braking do the work which is well balanced and less prone to skidding. In a cross wind, the vehicle definitely is more stable. I always say 4 WD can get you in big trouble because people tend to over dirve the conditions because the vehicle remains very stable. As a result, they will go into a turn a little too fast and take a trip to the out side of the turn in a heart beat. The other time is when they have to brake and then it makes no difference how many "drive" wheels you have. You are just like the rest.

A friend of mine and I were returning from a hunting trip across I 90 in Montana and the road was mostly packed powder with ocasional bare spots. There was a strong cross wind from the North and we were going in and out of cuts through and endless series of draws. Each time we came out of a cut I could feel his Ford Explorer shudder. The back was loaded and I had hinted several times that 4 WD would afford more stability, but he opined that he did not want to put excessive wear on it. Well, one good gust got us and the back end broke loose and as expected, he over corrected and away we went at a 60 mph spin. He did not touch the brakes for the first two turns, but could not stand it any longer and locked them up for the last turn. We ended up in the ditch as the back end was coming around for the 4th spin. There was no harm done, except to his ego. He put it in 4 WD and it stayed there for the remaining 800 miles. This was a free lesson for him.

Trees
Old 01-18-2005, 04:19 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Mine

Hi Trees,

When I took that ride I did it was real snotty on a secondary road..doing about 35 or so..being careful..Ha! Came to a bit of a rise and gave it a bit of gas..broke loose and then the ride was on..

Did not spin just had to ride it through the ditch and the fence and out into the field..did some damage when I hit that fence..Once I got out in the field just motored on out..the farmer was bit surprised to see this guy driving out of the field into his back yard..

Seems some days are like that..no matter what ya do..Still use my 4wd but with a bit of a memory of that ride..

OMT

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.