Hot Rod Forum banner

65 chevelle can I drop in a sbc 350 with TBI or convert to carb?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jokerZ71 
#1 ·
Hey guys, question for you all. I am picking up a sbc 350 to drop into my 65 chevelle and was wondering what it would take to keep the motors tbi, or should I just swap it over to a carb? I do not have the new motors wiring harness. I am wondering what all is needed to do this swap if I keep the tbi? I have never worked with fuel injection, so I am clueless. Any help would be great. thanks!

#3 ·
I have been planning to just have a carb, but I am getting a great deal on a 350 with TBI. I was told that it is not AS hard to convert to the TBI as opposed to the newer FI systems. I am not looking to do a huge expensive swap here. If it is possible to keep the TBI without breaking the bank and tearing apart my entire car (again) I will do it, but if not then I will just make it a carb motor.

#4 ·
If you're new to fuel injection and are not looking for a time-intensive project, then I would suggest just swapping in a carb. While it's true that TBI is much easier to run compared to modern fuel injection systems, you're going to see little improvement over running a properly tuned Quadrajet.

Also, starting without any of the electrical systems is going to put you behind. As a first-timer your best bet would be to have the whole swap vehicle so you aren't chasing down every little sensor, wire, vacuum line, harness, and electrical component.

I would finally like to mention that the TBI motor isn't much of a performer. If you're expecting make some power, new heads and cam are in order, in which case- you're still ahead with the carb setup.

#6 ·
What year model is the motor & which trans are you gonna use?Keep in mind if you're planning on using a speed auto from 93 up(4L60E,you will need the correct ECM & harness to control the trans as well. A 700R4 well not need the controller as it is ran by TV cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.