Hot Rod Forum banner

65 Chevelle shoulder belt debacle

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bryan59EC 
#1 ·
guys,
I have a 65 Chevelle, and would like to know if anyone out there has ever installed three point (shoulder strap) type seat belts in one without heavy modification. My car is a two door post (300 Deluxe) and every "universal" type shoulder belt I see available needs the backing plate welded into the post. The post is not wide enough, and there is very little overhead as well. Any ideas? My wife is threatening to never ride in it with only lap belts!

#3 ·
69-72, I believe had a separate shoulder belt that was attached into the roof. It was stored with 2 clips along the side window area.......Not many of them were ever used, but that would be the way to go if the wife insists. You would have to pull the headliner to put in a mounting point.

#5 ·
I think Poncho62 is correct, and the mount point will be there under the headliner already, ...unless it is just a year or so to early for this. Most cars '66-72 with lap belts had a seperate shoulder belt that clipped into the same lap belt buckle, some had a seperate buckle for the shoulder belt. The shoulder belt was folded three times and tucked under clips above the window opening from the factory, and when not being used. Most of these in the wrecking yard will be pristine, never used at all, as seat belts were not popularly used until law inforcement made it mandatory in the 1980's.

#6 ·
I looked for any possible mounting points above the door along the roof rail, and the metal up there is not going to support a plate either. I did find some from Autoloc for the rear seats for the kids (biggest concern of course) so I do have that going for me. I would rather trust a lap belt done right than hope a shoulder belt I fabbed in myself holds in a crash....thats what Ill pitch to the wife. Thanks all!

#8 ·
The shoulder anchor was not required until Jan, 1, 1966
64, 65, and the early 66 cars will not have them.

you can tell if a 66 (chevelle) has them by the cowl tag. There will be a small hole punched into the lower left corner of this tag---not necessarily a round hole either.

My july 66 Elky has them in the rear pillar.

So---with GM and the bean counters----not gonna get the anchors til they are required (does not explain why the seat belts were standard tho---not required til 68---along with side marker lights).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.