65 chevy P/U exhaust questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 02:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

65 chevy P/U exhaust questions

65 Chevy SWB, this model has the track bar from the rear axle to the drivers side frame. i am using 3" tail pipe, since the axle moves up and narrows the space above the axle and i plan to drop it 3", wondering can the exhaust pipe be ran on the outside of the frame ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

yes, out side the frame is a good way of doing it.

I have a 4/6 drop on my truck. most trucks that age already have a 2" drop due to spring sag. call classic enterprises, they have a pretty good drop kit and they know where to measure and what the stock ride height is, so you will know if you have a drop already in the truck.

I have done a lot of different exhaust systems on my truck (70 chevy). In one version, I made sharp 90's at the exhaust manifolds to get outside the frame rails at the front of the frame (behind the tires of course) then ran the pipes all the way out the back, over the axles, between the tires and the frame. The only issue with this route is that is no place for an H-pipe and the rear tires need to come off when pulling out the exhaust.

I have also ran headers, then a H-pipe, then made sharp 90's to get out of the frame rails before the rear cross member. this worked fine also and only hit the pipes one time on a very extreme drop off.

FYI, classic enterprises also makes a rear cross member than has holes for exhaust pipes so the pipes can stay in the frame.

And, if you use flex connectors up front then the rear pipe section can be solid mounted to the frame to gain more clearance.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 AM

I have the exhaust running on the outside of the frame - basically there is a pipe off the header that runs under the frame and bends 90 deg to meet the mufflers under the cab on each side... From there it runs pretty much straight back. The shop did square off 1 side of the pipe that passes by the axle bumper mount that sticks out on each side. I have an old pic of just teh chassis, exhaust and drivetrain in the truck if you are interested in seeing how mine is set up.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.