65 f100 and the battle of rust. z chrome rust defender? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

65 f100 and the battle of rust. z chrome rust defender?

Well, the old truck isnt a rust bucket but its got has several hotspots..
1 being the hood...it was pulled from a 64 with tons of surface rust...
I used some aggressive grit paper and a da and got all of it off... down to as close to bare metal as I could get. of course this left pits not a lot but in a few areas there are significant pitting...lots of small no big ones...

2 being the bed it too was pulled from the 64 lots of surface rust. and some behind the scenes rust between the sides and the bed sides. There are a couple small rust holes on the bottom quarter panel and about a 5 inch by 2 inch strip justs under the body line where some nylon graphics used to be. This area just fell away after the graphic was removed. ive tapped on it till all the loose stuff was gone I know I need to cut more out to remove it to good metal.

My question is WHAT DO I DO TO KEEP IT FROM COMING BACK!!!
and what to do to fill the rust pits....

Ive been looking into some rust converters...and junk... but what works?
also been looking at Z CHROME RUST DEFENDER... never used it dont see alot about it...but any of you guys use it? what does it do? and how does it protect from rust .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fordguy
Ive been looking into some rust converters...and junk... but what works?

Like you said rust converters are JUNK! First you need to rid the metal of the rust so use a good Phosphoric acid solution such as navel jelly or Ospho to dissolve any rust remaining in the bottoms of those pits and cut out heavy rusted areas. Once the rust is gone use a good epoxy to seal the bare metal and you should have then have a good base to begin the body work, no magic rust solutions are needed.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

I saw some acids on the paint isle at tractor supply company. i believe they had phosphoric Acid in spray form.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

If it is a spray then more than likely it is a converter and is intended to "turn rust into a black primer". You want to get the acid solutions (ONLY Phosphoric acid!) in a liquid or gel form so you can soak an area with it and keep it wet until the rust is gone, this may take a while and may even involve covering it to keep it from drying out. It may take several applications and scrubbing with a wire brush to speed up the process sometimes helps. Take one area at a time and be persistent, stay with it until that area is rust free then clean all the residue and apply the epoxy before moving on to another spot. The whole process will take some time but it will be time well spent because you will not have to worry about rust that is still lurking under one of those "converters" coming back to haunt you, which all too often it will.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.