65 Impala Drum Brake Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 10:27 PM
1965 Impala SS Convertible

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

65 Impala Drum Brake Question

I am hearing a grinding type noise coming from the passenger side wheel on my 65 Impala.I was thinking it had something to with the drum brake on that side.Also when it is making that noise I will hear a thumping noise that keeps going as the wheel spins when I am going 0 to 55 mph.Any speed after that the thumping noise stops.I replaced the outer wheel bearing on that side just recently.Should I change the inner one too?Or does this sound like a brake problem?Any help is appreciated.Thanks,

Eazy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 11:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have to state the obvious,,, find out what the problem is and take care of it immediately. Who put in the outer bearing and did he have his head out of his arse when he did it? He did change the race too,,,, didn't he? The race was seated, bearing packed and preload set correctly? When the outer bearing was done the inner bearing was checked, cleaned and packed? (Damn well should have been, the bearings in the other wheel should have been gone over, cleaned, checked and packed at the same too.. Again common sense, if one goes out,, better check all those front bearings,,, or stumble along in ignorant bliss)

"Should I change the inner one too?" Common sense should tell you that if the bearing, or bearings, are still good they don't have to be replaced. If they are pitted or eroded, replace them. You (or us on the BB) will never know unless they're taken out, cleaned and inspected then correctly repacked and reinstalled.

Last,, The brakes themselves (on both sides) were checked over when drum(s) was off?

I drive a 68 Impala and once had strange noises coming from my front end. I immediately took it apart and found the leading brake shoe hanger had actually cracked and was barely hanging there. I hate to think what would have happened if it had entirely broken off, got crosswise and locked up the wheel as I was tooling down the road. At the very least it would have torn everything up inside the drum and very probably would/could have thrown me off the road.

Unless you know what you are doing things like this deserve to be looked at by experts,, for safety sakes. Around here we have several pros like "Brake Masters" or "Midias" who will inspect your brakes and bearings for free and tell you what it needs before doing anything or charging you anything. If anything does REALLY have to be done they can do it right away, gaurantee the work, usually for a reasonable price (brake work is a very competitive business).

Hey,,, you owe it to yourself, "grinding type noises" are not normal. You're dealing with a car that's 40 years old and you just plain have to stay up on the maintence if you want a safe ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.