Hot Rod Forum banner

65 Impala Drum Brakes

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  junkyardjeff 
#1 ·
I am having problems with my brakes on my Impala.They arent adjusted right.How do you know when they are adjusted right?I keep taking off the drums and adjusting them but I cant get it right.Its a pain in the ass to keep taking the wheels off and adjusting them and then driving it to see if its good.Everyone tells me that you are supposed to adjust them where the wheel will spins but it supposed to have some drag to it.When I do that,then the brake pedal goes down further to ground(like the pads arent close enough to the drum so I have to press the brake pedal down further before it hits the drum).Also,when I adjust both sides with a little drag,the car will pull to the right when I press the brakes.I bled the brakes and there is no air in the lines.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,

Eazy

#3 ·
If something in the rest of your system isn't right they're not going to adjust right. Self adjusters should take care of it but something isn't right. I'd say it's time to talk to a pro or upgrade to front discs. Most of the time professional brake places will inspect your brakes for you for free if you give them a chance to do the work.

My daily driver is a 68 Impala Custom and the next time i have to do my front brakes I plan to get an adaptor from
http://www.scarebird.com/7009.html
and do the whole low buck disc conversion.

#5 ·
Drum brakes are a pain. The best way I've found to adjust them is to adjust them until they're so tight they won't move, then loosen the adjuster 3 to 6 notches.

If they still don't work right, you may have to get the drums turned so they're perfectly round, then get the shoes arc-ground to match the diameter of the drums. Then adjust them as above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.