65 Impala Fuse Problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 12:12 PM
1965 Impala SS Convertible

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

65 Impala Fuse Problems

In my Impala the fuse that runs the Dash lights and the tail lights keeps popping and burning out everytime I replace it.Is there a short in a wire somewhere?What would be the cause of this?Any help is appreciated.Thanks,

Eazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Check your taiil light sockets first........chances are thats where your short is. If you can unplug the rear harness, I think there is a connector in the trunk, that would tell you if thats where it is shorting.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

tails

Doc here,

If it has trailer plug for lighting, that's another good source of shorts....

If it has one, Disconnect the parallel wires and try to re~fuse it..If it stays look at the hitch wiring.

Did you add anything NEW electrical wise? If so go there and look at the job..

have you done recent work around the harness anywhere? another place to check!

Doc
Old 11-06-2005, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Is there any way I can use my electrical tester to check for shorts?I been having problems with something draing the power from my battery when the car is turned off.How can I tell by looking at all the wires and harnesses?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyDuzIt102
Is there any way I can use my electrical tester to check for shorts?I been having problems with something draing the power from my battery when the car is turned off.How can I tell by looking at all the wires and harnesses?
Doc here,

Depends on what you have for an "Electrical Tester" ..

If it's a DVOM, set it for amps, auto-range (or highest setting, and pull the negative cable from the battery, put the meter probes between the battery cable and the battery posts and read the draw (be sure the dome, hood and trunk lamps are off) Draw should be no more than 0.03 to 0.08 on the meter..If you get more you have something stuck on..

If your car is computer operated, has a CD player with memory presets and a mechanical clock, these readings will apply..if you have NONE of these, you will show 000...

To save time if you get a draw, unhook the alternator, big red wire, and plug, and remeasure, If the readings fall within spec, you have a bad diode / Regulator pack in the alternator, replace them, Kit about $15 bucks(or if you feel it is above your skill level) replace the alternator. starting about $30 bucks.

If that does not drop the draw you have a circuit pulling power.. pull the fuses one by one until the draw goes away, then troubleshoot that circuit. find the draw and remove/repair it.

The main causes of power draw in "OFF" other than alternator. are: Glove box lamps stuck on, hood lamps, trunk lamps, vanity mirror lamps, power antenna stuck in down drive , horn relay (horn shorted with horn disconnected) any obscure lamp you know of on the vehicle that does not require the key to activate, Power amps wired incorrectly, any accessory added to the "hot at all times" buss.

Don't overlook the possibility that the battery may be shot..charge it for 10 hours at 6 amps then get a load test..do this first..a bad cell will drop off overnight too.

Doc
Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Hey Doc,I know this is an old post but I am just getting around to fixing the problem now and I went back to look at your response.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/innov...spagenameZWDVW here is a picture of what my electrical tester looks like for my car.This is an auction someone is running on eBay and this is the best picture I could find to compare my tester to.What settings should I set it on when running these tests?Also,do I use the red wir or the black wire on the tester?Thanks,

Eazy
Old 02-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

To Amp Test , put your probes in the sockets marked DCA, I think these are the ones I lettered.

Set your scale to DCA X10 amps (the yellow setting) and note the readings..If those are under an amp, then rotate the switch to DCMA (the blue scale)

To Check for Volts, move the probe not marked DCA/VDC to the COM terminal (black probe) set your meter for DC volts, (where it is in the picture now) and test, red to positive, Black to negative.

For Ohms, no probe movement is needed, Set your scale for the Omega symbol, or the horseshoe looking symbol in white.

Refer to your instruction book for the rest, but this will get your testing done.

Doc
Old 02-15-2006, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

if i remember correctly...the harness runs down the middle of the trunk area....right where the jack gets thrown, heads get set etc....might be the first place to check

just my .02

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.