65 impala wireing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 02:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

65 impala wireing

65 impala wireing was mess all cleaned up but headlights stay on . but not the taillights .a/c - wipers only come on when headlights are turned on, not when parking lights on only but switch pulled all the way out thanks
also the fuse blows real quick

Last edited by buckys65ssimpala; 06-19-2005 at 03:09 PM. Reason: to add that the fuse will blow quick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2005, 03:02 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

hey there, when you say you had a mess, what do you mean? it sounds like your mess isnt cleaned up if nothing is working right.

i have a 66 impala which is just about the same. you can get a wiring diagram from any of the parts suppliers. then take it all apart and start over again.

oh and welcome to the board. if you give a little more info i might be able to help you a little more. good luck.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

docvette should be here soon to help you, he helped me quite a bit... meanwhile , you will have a hot wire when you click halfway (parking lights) and another hot (12+ volts) when the lightswitch is fully out. You have a light meter or preferably a volt meter to see which ones are hot when? I have a 67 Camaro which wouldn't be too much different, check your grounds at the taillight buckets and that the bulbs are good and have good connection (you can clean up with a bit of sandpaper to be sure. With lights on check for 12+ volts at the taillights, if so likely bad ground, if not trace your wiring (yellow-brown-dark green on mine) from rear lights forward and see where there connected to. Mine goto main wiring harness plug under left dash, check to see if you get power there as well... hope this helps any if at all, be sure to reply back with more or if you fixed it what happened.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Hopefully Doc don't mind , this is a copy of the schematics he posted for my car, hopefully it can get you somewhere to start as I'm not sure how close your color codes will be to mine once again these are for a 67 Camaro. Hollar Doc if I'm steppin' on your toes and I'll remove your schematics.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Impala Wires

Doc here,
-------------------------------------------------------------
Scott: No sweat on ANY of the Diagrams..That's what they are here For! If one Member can help another with Them, then By All means Please Do so!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Bucky,

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

I'm like REAL confused by your post...other than it sounds like you have the Harness from Hell...and may not have the right to exist in nature...

OK, Lets see:

If I read right, When you turn the headlights ON the wipers actuate?

Dude...That's Just wrong...

The Simple Class for GM wipers of that vintage is:
Isolate the power Fuse for Wipers at the fuse buss...

Run the protected side of that fuse to the wiper motor DIRECT...

The Wipers on GM are wired "HOT IN RUN" at all times...Speed control and washer functions are controlled through the switch to GROUND...Not power..

The Color Codes for those wires Will (should be) :

Yellow=12 volts from the fuse to the motor DIRECT no stops..

Light Blue:=Speed control 1 (and switchable ground)

Black/org=speed control 2 (and switchable ground)

White/Dark blue=Washer motor (and Switchable ground)

The wiper motor has a ground pigtail itself that must be grounded also..

REMEMBER: All speed control and washer functions at the SWITCH are ground..NOT POWER..Hook it to power, and you'll end up with Fusus~inturruptus..The motor IS wired hot..Exact backward from the rest of the world....
That Should get those working...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

HEADLIGHTS:
They stay on like Forever??
what's the deal there..If that's the case you don't even have them wired to your switch..You need to pull the switch, and the harness and OHM it out..

First map out the configuration of your switch..Then center-wipers and Normally opens..Then transpose (using the above Schematic) those to The wire functions...That should get those working..
----------------------------------------------------------------

Were it I, Personally, from what you describe, I would remove the harness from the car, and bench correct/wire it before trying to run with it..But that's just me..

Not trying to be an Educated Donkey ...(wise ***.. ) But do you have fuse links installed??????????

That would be a VERY first priority Because Without them on a harness with that much past grafting..Is courting Disaster..

A good chance that it will go up in smoke, and start a HIGH CURRENT fire you will NOT be able to stop..(until the cable burns off..or the battery explodes from your rod burning down around it..)

Links (if not there) FIRST, Then troubleshoot second...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 06-19-2005 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Bumbling Bigthumbitis...
Old 06-19-2005, 06:00 PM

65 impala wireing

thanks doc what my problem is: when i plug in the main battery fuse, the headlights come on and stay, taillights and interior lights come on and work properly. the wipers and a/c still work by the headlight switch and the fuse gets hot and blows. thanks for the help, bucky
Old 06-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Ok...

Doc here..

Lets Do this one bit at a time...

Just from what you describe..We'll do the headlights first,

Somehow, When you hook up B+ Battery you are getting power to (using the below schematic) To either The Light Blue wire out of the headlight switch..

(to test this theory, switch on high-beams if they come on..then it's the light-blue wire)

OR the Brown (Tan) wire on the headlight harness..(if no high-beam lights)

Using a Volt ohm meter start at the brown (tan)wire at the headlights and back track for power readings to the switch..If you loose it at the high beam switch, look there for your short..you should find a power source that Should not be there...If so remove it and Test it again...

The light switch seems to function properly, because if you look at the drawing below..all the other functions work..domes , tails, markers, turnsignals..(you said those worked right?)

The ONLY wires that should have power on them with the headlight switch OFF are the ORANGE and RED wires..

Find and correct that problem first, Then we'll go on from there..

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.