65 Impala Wiring Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 PM
1965 Impala SS Convertible

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

65 Impala Wiring Problem

I was driving today and I started smelling something burning.So I pulled over and looked and there was smoke coming from under my dash.So I turned the car off and looked and there was a burnt wire.The wire that runs from the brake switch was melted and burned all the way to the wiring harness.Also,when I pulled the fuse that runs to that,it was blown and very hot.So I replaced the fuse and ran a new wire from the brake switch to the harness and tried the brakes and they dont work.I was getting power to the rest of the car but then it stopped.All of the power to the rest of the car wont work.What is going on ,Any help is appreciated.Thanks,

Eazy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 01:07 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

sounds like u may have a short somewhere between the fuse box & the switch. but u could of fried the brakelite switch also. use a test lite to be sure u have voltage running throught it when u press the brake pedal down. when u do the test one side will be hot(voltage going to it) w/out press the brake pedal & when u do press the brake pedal both sides of the switch will be hot(voltage going through it)...joe
Old 08-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

If you have lost power to the rest of the car, I'd check the fusible link between the + battery terminal and the junction block.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

If this is a 65 Imp..The Factory DID not install a fuse link..but most aftermarket upgrades did..(if they knew what they were doing). Look for the wire that runs between the starter "B" (or battery Cable terminal) on the starter solenoid to the "Hot at all Times" on the Ignition switch, and fuse buss input wire to the brass bar..It probably has melted.

If the Wire bundle has melted as you said, you will need to unwrap all of it to inspect the bundle..you may have several circuits shorted together now, (hidden by tape) and shorting to ground. You just can't run a secondary wire and call it "All Good" .. If it works, It'll come back to bite you later.

If you Don't have a fuse link , you should install one . Always in the engine bay, never inside the car..Also inspect the big Red wire to the horn relay and regulator (if external) for melt down.

let us know the progress...

Doc
Old 08-19-2006, 12:49 AM

Last photo:

I am gonna work on it tomorrow and I will post my progress.What else runs on that fuse besides the brake lights?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyDuzIt102
I am gonna work on it tomorrow and I will post my progress.What else runs on that fuse besides the brake lights?

Doc here,

If it's wired correctly..Nothing else.

Doc
Old 08-19-2006, 01:43 AM

Last photo:

I went out there tonight I wanted to see what would happen if I replaced the fuse.As soon as I popped the new fuse in,it turned a red color and burned right through instantly.It burned my finger,thats how hot it was.I did look at everything else.All of the other electrical is working perfectly fine.Its just the 1 fuse.I will work on it more tomorrow and keep you updated.Thanks for your input!

Eazy
Old 08-19-2006, 02:17 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I'd be willing to bet...

that it has either melted thru the insulation inside the harness (as Doc described, VERY common to happen) or his short for the brakes is one of the wires in the rear harness shorting to ground, and most likely at or near the drivers side footwell.

I can't remember how many Chevvies I have worked on with rear lighting problems that were a bad rear harness very close to the drivers seat. Think about it, that door gets used more than any other, and many times the drivers feet are wet. That moisture gets into the carpet and padding, and sits under the padding on the steel floor, rotting it out (yes, even if the carpet surface feels dry). With GM running their rear harness thru this moisture-prone area, that water can and does get into the harness, rotting the copper wiring and breaking down the insulation. Planned obsolescence.

I remember a later Cadillac that had interior lighting problems, plus the power windows on the passenger side did not work, and also the passengers power lock was on the fritz. Fuses all liiked good, testing the window motor/lock for voltage at the switches yielded none. I pulled front and rear seats and all the carpet/padding out to find a large green corrosion area under the passengers front seat, along the crossbody harness path. I merely lifted the harness up at that point and 10-12 wires FELL OUT of the harness.

Took a couple hours with an interior wiring diagram to repair the interior light power wires, the window and lock power wiring, and the ground buss wires from all those components with proper gauge/color replacement wiring, soldered and shrinkwrapped, and re-wrap the harness with 3M tape back to factory specs/appearance. My customer was VERY HAPPY with the repair...

Incidentally, when I wired the Kustomsledd, I ran all my electrical down the center of the car, along the trans tunnel area. Have had zero electrical problems with this routing.

Doc
Old 08-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

To troubleshoot that, Pull the BLUE wire off the brake lamp switch..replace the fuse..If it blows you need to backtrack the BLUE wire to the fuse panel.

If it does not blow, pull the Black/White wire off the switch, and replace the fuse..If it blows, replace the switch..

If it does not blow, replace the White Black wire and pull the Column plug at the bottom of the steering column..replace the fuse..If it blows..you need to check the Black/White wire between the column plug and the brake lamp switch..

If it does not blow..I would suspect the column harness, or the turnsignal switch itself..Clean and burnish all the pins, and try and reset the plug..If it blows again, you need to pull all the lamps out (turns and brake) and do a continuity check to ground..(you'll need a diagram for this) any that should support power that have continuity to ground are bad. Repair or replace as needed.

Happy Hunting!

Doc
Old 08-19-2006, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

I worked on it today and found the problem.One of the wires in the trunk for the brake lights was exposed in one spot and it was grounding off.I pulled it away from the metal and plugged in a new fuse and it didnt pop or spark or anything.So I fixed it all up and now the problem is fixed.Thank you everyone for your input!

Eazy

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.