65 Mustang I6 to V8 and drum to disc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 12:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

65 Mustang I6 to V8 and drum to disc

So I've ditched the I6 in my Mustang for a stroked 351W, but obviously am having to replace all my drivetrain to do so. Now it's time for the front suspension. $ is very limited so as far as buying a whole conversion kit, thats probably outta the question. What I am thinking though is getting my hands on some V8 drum spindles and later model mustang discs and getting a bracket to connect the two. I did a similiar conversion on my 69 Camaro with the drum spindles and new f body brakes with great results. This is step one, i havent gotten to steering or suspension yet . So is this the way to go or is there something better (and cheaper) out there that I'm unaware of?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 03:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

www.discbrakeswap.com if you can't find a Granada locally... the Ford Granada swap is the most common. they came in V8 and I6's and the stuff is a lot easier to get than the Kelsey Hayes stuff... a Granada or Maverick rear will work, but the original rear 'might' be a 4 lug 8", because part of the '65 year, the 6cyl Mustangs got the 4 lug 8" instead of the more common 7 1/4" 4 lug 6cyl rear
Old 10-29-2009, 04:08 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

mustang disc

there are a couple of sites that deal with mustang and smaller fords. .fairlanes falcons comets ,etc/ you will find more info there... some 6 cyl maverics also had 5 bolt wheels with front disc's ...I think they are the same parts as granada-monarch- lincoln versailles... The granada calipers tend to wear off one side of the rotors. you need to keep the sliders lubed. One of the ford sites had instructions on using the new mustang GT calipers on the granada type cars. the brackets looked easy to build at home. 80's lincoln town car rear disc's are supposed to be easy to convert to the rears. I picked up lincoln and cad eldorado rear disc pieces when I was helping a friend who owns the local wrecking yard. I haven't tried to do a ford or gm conversion yet. too many other projects to do first.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Last photo:

is there any way to swap newer model spindles with their discs already on it? How about mustang II spindles? they put those on everything. Then could i put on a rack and pinion right on it?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:36 AM

Last photo:

Guessing what this Mustang disc rear end is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
there are a couple of sites that deal with mustang and smaller fords. .fairlanes falcons comets ,etc/ you will find more info there... some 6 cyl maverics also had 5 bolt wheels with front disc's ...I think they are the same parts as granada-monarch- lincoln versailles... The granada calipers tend to wear off one side of the rotors. you need to keep the sliders lubed. One of the ford sites had instructions on using the new mustang GT calipers on the granada type cars. the brackets looked easy to build at home. 80's lincoln town car rear disc's are supposed to be easy to convert to the rears. I picked up lincoln and cad eldorado rear disc pieces when I was helping a friend who owns the local wrecking yard. I haven't tried to do a ford or gm conversion yet. too many other projects to do first.
Hallo timothale. As you are on the thread about Lincoln disc rear ends i am wondering if you may be able to help me out with the type of disc brake rear end i have here on my 67. It came from USA to AUS. with the conversion and i am trying to figure out what i have here. I am not sure whether these calipers should have a return spring on the park brake lever. On the picture of the caliper i have two black arrows pointing to two threaded holes. I am wondering if these should have a fitting bolted in there for a return spring for the lever. Any clues appreciated.
Cheers
Mustang Al.[
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB020093.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	41695   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB020094.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	41696  
Old 11-02-2009, 06:21 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

mustang disc

there are kits out there to do a new crosmember and use the mustang II components. Mustand II had small brakes. there are conversions to upgrade to 11 inch or larger rotors ..the mustang II spindles are front steer. the rack in ftont. Granada-monarch versailles came stock with 11 inch rotors. get a speedway catalog and check out all the things you could do. there are brackets to use granada-mon-vers calipers on the mustand II spindles but Gm is the most popular. I'm still up north, will being going south next week. The shop with most of the cars is 400 miles south. sometimes I go to NAPA auto parts on line and try to match up parts. I have a stock mustang front suspension with the KH 4 piston brakes. missing 1 caliper bracket. the bracket is very hard to find. and a set of 40 ford spindles with the 4 p KH conversion and an old magazine article on how to do it. there is a new conversion offered with 4 piston calipers . big $$$ ...If you google mustang forums you will find quite a few forums dealing with just ford products and lots of info

Last edited by timothale; 11-02-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.