65 Mustang trunk tensioning rods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 03:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

65 Mustang trunk tensioning rods

Does anyone have a picture they could send or tell me what way the trunk springs\tensioning rods are supposed to go. Any tricks would be very helpful at this point in time

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

I ran into that same problem some time back and I used the diagram in one of the Mustang parts catalogs, can't remember which one but I think most of them such as Paddock, Mustangs unlimited and I am sure others have this parts diagram. Be careful when you assemble that thing I nearly broke a finger, busted it up good, and I can see several other ways to get hurt real easy Also don't forget to install the anti-rattle covers or that thing will rattle like crazy.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangbob
Does anyone have a picture they could send or tell me what way the trunk springs\tensioning rods are supposed to go.
WELCOME to Hotrodders.com

As a Moderator here ... I am going to move this question to the Body-Exterior area ... where it should get more views and better informed responses ... hopefully.

Again ... WELCOME
DEUCE
Old 06-25-2006, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

I ran into this problem on a 67 mustang and it was a tough one for me to figure out. The rods actually go opposite then you think they should and the end will be pointing toward the front of the car when you first place it in the slot and you have to pry it forward to hook it. I think I used vicegrips and it wasn't easy. Hard to explain. I'll see if I can dig up a good link I had, and a pic of a mustang trunk.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Here ya go, hope this helps. I know I had a better link to one with a diagram and instructions, but can't find it yet. I'll keep looking if this doesn't help. It is possible to put the rods backwards. If backwards even in the notch for the highest tension setting, the trunk won't stay open.
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...ad.php?t=10015
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67_orange_must_trunk2.JPG
Views:	905
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	12912  
Old 06-25-2006, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Yep, you can put them in backward very easily and they will look right, at least to someone that is not sure how they go, but as Kenseth pointed out the truck lid will not stay open. As the saying goes "been there, done that"
Old 06-25-2006, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, it wasn't the funnest job old red. When you have the rods the right way and swapped, it will be hard to get the thing hook with the tension. I know if fought with it awhile and was using vice grips to hold it in position and also to pry to the tension slot, all on new paint, doohh. Thing is I kept the springs and rods all attached as a unit when I was painting, it stayed together all through sandblasting, hanging and painting. go to bolt the hinges back in the trunk and it all fell apart. Then the headscratching and beotching began.
Wish I could explain better how you put the rods in. The article I had was the one the linked to in the classic cougar forum, and looks like they took it down. Basically when the rods cross in the middle and are set in postion, the end of the rod should hook pointing toward the front of the car, then you need to get that end into one of the three tension slots. Its been over 2 years since I had the pleasure of doing it so its not real fresh in my mind, but do remember the jolly time I had.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

I get rudely reminded of my experience with it when I see the scars on my left hand, I let one of the rods slip from the vise grips and it caught my fingers in one of the tension notches. I know that anytime one works with a spring of any kind that it is easy to get hurt but I got a little careless and that thing got me
Old 06-25-2006, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Ohh, didn't even realize it but there is another pic of the tension rods in my photo gallery of the car I worked on (under amp 1). But it doesn't really show them any better then the pic I already attached.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

I finished up a candy apple red 66 fastback GT two days ago and the fastback trunk rod setup is really wierd on that model. The rods are located from hinge to hinge and lay against the lid with a rubber insulator and clamp. Not the greatest engineering IMO as the hinges were really sloppy. If you're working on a fastback I can get some pics if you need them. Bob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.