Hot Rod Forum banner

65 rambler rearend question

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
hi, got some amc questions

hi just joined i'm currently putting a 65 rambler american 220 together, using a 360 4 brl for an engine and manual trans. now i bought a 73 gremlin x for parts but i'm curious what way to go with the rearend. would i be better off with the rearend out of the gremlin or to stay with the 220's original rearend and the funky driveshaft.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
k doing a 65 rambler american 220 have a 360 4brl and manual trans. now i have a 73 gremilin x for parts rearend is the same width and would update the ramblers rearend to get rid of the goofy driveshaft deal. but i don't know what the rearend in the gremlin is as far a gear ratios and if it could be a posi. i had read that the 65 ramblers could be a 4 10 gears and be posi. and that would be cool. anyone have any info as to what i should do with this. thanks.

Attachments

#4 ·
Check the gremlin rear end and see if it's a limited slip Dana. If it is, I would use that one. Their tough, I raced one for 2 1/2 yrs and never had a problem with it. I raced a 71 Javelin SST 360 in 1/4 mi and auto cross. It had the electric blue paint w/white stripes. How about a pic when your done with the paint? :D

#8 ·
ljfranssen said:
thanks for the info and i will. had some trouble digging up info on the gremlin x and wasn't sure if it had better parts than a regular gremlin.
If I remember correctly, the X model had 304 V-8's. A friend of mine had one that came with front and rear sway bar's and slapped my head on both sides of the car and I don't think it would be possible to roll it over!.

#18 · (Edited)
Unless you plan on racing the car or driving it real hard (lots of burn-outs?) the AMC 15 rear axle will hold up well behind the 360. It's a lot stronger than people give it credit for. It's basically the same as the Dana 35 used in Cherokees with the 190 hp 4.0L. A stock 360/4V for 74 only put out a little more power than the 4.0L does. The 360 does, however, have the potential to make a lot more whereas the 4.0L is very near its limit. The AMC 15 has a 7-9/16" ring gear and is comparable to a Ford 8". Plenty of 351 Mustangs run the 8" hard.

The Gremlin six used an AMC 15. I'd still use the Gremlin axle to get rid of the "big nut" driveshaft. The shaft is fine, just a little troublesome even if you know exactly how to set the big nut shaft up. Most take the u-joint apart without loosening the big nut because it has to be torqued to 200 ft/lbs and positioned right. Unless you really need/want the gear ratio it has spring for the Gremlin axle. 73 Gremlin had a 2.73:1 rear axle stock, 3.08 or 3.31 were optional. The "X" model should have one of the optional ratios, so you should be okay there.

The 73 axle code is stamped on the rear of the right rear of the differential on the right (passenger side) near the hole in the housing where the tube is plug welded in. It may be hard to find. F = 3.08, G = 3.31, H = 2.73. The 65 axle ratio is on a tag held on by one of the rear cover bolts, and may be missing. The tag will have the number of pinion/ring gear teeth. Divide the big number by the small to get the ratio. Ratios were the same as Gremlin for the OHV 196. 2.73 stock for man/auto trans unless it had OD -- those used 3.08 or if a Twin-Stick 3.78. If it had a 232 3.31 was stock. Apparently all the 232 models had an auto trans, as no other axle ratios or trannys are listed for the 65 American with 232.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.