65 stang - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 05:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

65 stang

hey guys i replaced the front wheel cylinders on my 65 . i bled the brakes but when i go to use them it pulls to the left. so i readjusted the brake shoes and rebled the brakes and it still pulls to the left. these are manual drum brakes. any ideas on what is going on and how i can fix this. oh and it still has the original master for the brakes if that helps. thanks for any ideas that you guys might have.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme
hey guys i replaced the front wheel cylinders on my 65 . i bled the brakes but when i go to use them it pulls to the left. so i readjusted the brake shoes and rebled the brakes and it still pulls to the left. these are manual drum brakes. any ideas on what is going on and how i can fix this. oh and it still has the original master for the brakes if that helps. thanks for any ideas that you guys might have.
If you really want to enjoy and drive this car , the best way is to upgrade the brakes to disc brakes, sounds like your adjustment is still off on the drum brakes. Sometimes it is almost impossible to get the pull out of those old brake systems. Upgrade it will be to you and your cars advantage. But if you want to keep those old drums tear it back down clean everything in site make sure the shoes are lined up properly and sitting in place where they should be check the drums well see how rough they are you might need new drums anyway. if everything checks out back the adjustment off on both wheels and start over bring them back till you feel a slight pull then do the other side the same way then test them you will probably need to adjust again after that. Hope this helps. JMO. Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 07-11-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

I have a 66 Mustang which has the drum brakes on the front. I'm keeping the Mustang as original as possible, so the disc brake conversion is not an option. My brakes did the same and there are a couple reasons. Sometimes, the brake lining will have a film of grease or oil on it making that side grab more than the other. Another common reason is the brake springs. The Mustang has 3 of them. These springs, like others will weaken causing an imbalance of the brakes. A stronger spring will cause the brakes to apply quicker and with more force than a weak spring. It really noticable when you apply the brakes. You can buy new springs and install them easily. That way you have the same tension on both sides. Sometimes it depends on the wheel cylinder as well. If one is new and the other old. The older one may expand slower due to grime or wear and tear versus the new one.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

I do agree with kleen56 on this only if you want to keep it original. And if thats the case, yes i would change all the brake hardware and the shoes and the wheel cylinders and clean everything else. My 65 i just sold had all new drum brakes on it and it didn't stop worth a darn. But it didn't pull to either side.I don't care IMO what you do to them when it is drum brakes you can get the pull out of them but they will never stop worth a nickel. But to each his own if you want original then clean and replace everything in there. Or upgrade your choice. And i have had several mustangs through the years. JMO. Cole
Old 07-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
I do agree with kleen56 on this only if you want to keep it original. And if thats the case, yes i would change all the brake hardware and the shoes and the wheel cylinders and clean everything else. My 65 i just sold had all new drum brakes on it and it didn't stop worth a darn. But it didn't pull to either side.I don't care IMO what you do to them when it is drum brakes you can get the pull out of them but they will never stop worth a nickel. But to each his own if you want original then clean and replace everything in there. Or upgrade your choice. And i have had several mustangs through the years. JMO. Cole
Agreed, no power brakes and drum brakes are tough. That's one reason my wife won't drive the car. Maybe that's why my right thigh is bigger than my left LOL... If my stang wasn't all original the way my dad purchased it, I'd consider going disc on the front. The 66 Mustang GT came with factory disc brake options, but no power brakes. Even though it was better on braking, you still had to put your foot on the pedal to stop. The master cylinders weren't the greatest either.
Ed
Old 07-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The '65 Rambler I had, used 9" Ford drums on all 4 corners ( drove it daily ) and aside from the brakes fading out going down hill... drive sensibly and there just fine.. shift down b4 you descend a hill, slow down for the stop, don't just, stop.... disc brakes are better no doubt, but I don't see the big deal with them being a near nessesity, there not nessasary if you drive the car like it's a 40+ y/o car and not a new car
Old 07-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

You say you replaced the brake cylinders? Something you need to check is to make SURE they are matched, that is are they both the same internal size? I saw this happen some years ago on a pick up truck and nothing seemed to work he finally checked the new cylinders and one had a smaller bore than the other. Long shot but worth checking.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Also----when I was adjusting drums---long long ago
I would adjust them out ---apply the brakes---adjust out some more ----apply the brakes untill all of the drums will rotate with just a slight drag.

seems to me that when they are adjusted out just one time and left alone, most of the time the shoes will not be centered in the drum.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I had a similar problem with my bug,the right rubber line was plugged with crap but still let a little fluid out when bleeding I changed all the rubber hoses front and rear and they worked great. I've heard they swell up under pressure with the same results when they get old
Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I had a similar problem with my bug,the right rubber line was plugged with crap but still let a little fluid out when bleeding I changed all the rubber hoses front and rear and they worked great. I've heard they swell up under pressure with the same results when they get old
Yea i have seen old lines and some new ones, collapsed when brakes are applied and cause this problem also. Cole
Old 07-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

Right side brake hose is probably deteriorated and blocked internally. The blockage causes less braking on the right side and the left side brakes applies as normal giving you the left side pull.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.