65 stang at ground zero.... I want to do this right, please help me! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Last journal entry: Some DIY experiments
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

65 stang at ground zero.... I want to do this right, please help me!

Ok, I have read and read and read some more and I feel like Alice falling down the rabbit hole.
First let me state that I am a part-timer and get a few solid hours a day on the weekend that my wife will let me spend on the project.
I am trying to strip my entire mustang down to bare metal and do this thing right but I can't seem to make up my mind.
I WANT to strip the car myself:
A. So I can say I did
B. I can learn a lot (probably that I never want to do it again)
C. Because it will be "cheaper"
I have now learned that I really need to use epoxy primer if I want all this hard work to pay off. I understand that steps to take and brands are a personal preference so I just want to know what to do that is "idiot proof" and will not screw things up for my painter. The problem is that I can't possibly strip the whole car down to bare metal in one shot. I have to do it in sections. I have learned that there is now a good epoxy spray can that is $$$$$.
Can someone tell me how to strip, sand, naval jelly, clean/prep then spray epoxy as I go? I understand that this has been COVERED a million times but the more I read the more confused I get. I have the paint guy telling me one thing, my painter telling me another and then I read... I know there is more than one way to skin a cat but I just want and acceptable way that wont screw things up later.
Also, can I treat different sections of my car differently? Can I do the whole under body/engine compartment myself with rustolium and do the body panels with epoxy? Or should I do epoxy everywhere if at all? BTW I have already sprayed rustolium primer on parts, do I need to remove it and start over?
The problem I am having is that there is a lot of great info on the individual steps of what I am doing, but I am looking for the total package. Yesterday I went from doing it all with sandpaper to soda blasting, back to stripper and paper. I just can't figure out the best path.
If there is the end all beat all thread on this I am not afraid to read for hours (at work lol) so feel free to point me there.
Thanks in advance for all your knowledge.
John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

There are pros and cons to all of this stuff, your decision is what will fit your wallet and how much time you have on your hands ..... to wait and complete . Sanding the longest and most labor intensive . The others just add money and go . what ever you decide to do get on plan in mind and follow through.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Leadfoot Larry

Last journal entry: Interior prep & Paint
Last photo:

Doin' it right...

Mustisixstang,
I think that what you are looking for; a comprehensive set of step-by-step instructions that fit your situation precisely, most likely doesn't exist. I too have been lurking and reading all of the posts and wiki's I could find on restoring and modifying my '65 Ranchero from welding panels to painting a three-stage pearl and everything in between. The folks posting here have been awesome to say the least and I think I have probably gotten the equivalent of a Master's degree worth of knowledge. What this board (or any other for that matter) can't provide is "on the job" experience!

So, my approach has been to start my project with something that I think I can handle and put some experience behind me to build on. The Ranchero had a totally eaten away battery tray apron that I knew had to be replaced, so I stated with that project. My thinking was that if I screwed it up, it was pretty much out of sight by being covered up with the battery tray and eventually the battery itself. I gathered my tools, read up on what to do and then jumped in. The first time I did it (lol) it looked like *%&# with bad welds, mis-aligned bolt holes and then to ad insult to injury, peeling (rattle-can) primer and paint. It was pitiful! Back to the drawing board. It did eventually get done correctly (I learned a lot!) and you can check out my project journal pages if you want to see the end result. I did eventually end up spraying it (and the entire engine compartment) with epoxy primer and black urethane single stage. It turned out pretty good in my opinion and I'm confident that it will hold up at least as long as the original.

So, my point here is that you just have to commit and then give it a try. If it doesn't work out the first time, try it again until you get it and then move on to the next part. Keep moving with it and you will gain experience, confidence and momentum. With those tools, you can pretty much accomplish anything in hot rodding.

BTW - post some pics - I'm a big pony fan and would love to see what you're up to.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTISIXSTANG
Ok, Can I do the whole under body/engine compartment myself with rustolium John

DON'T use Rustoleum ANYWHERE on your car!!!! Rustolum is ,,,well if I say what I think it is the mods would censor me but trust me Rustoleum is for lawn furniture and not for cars, anywhere! Do the underside and the engine compartment in Black Epoxy and not only will it look great it will last, Rustoleum not only will not last long but it will always look cheap and amateurish.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

I would use SPI epoxy.

Just mix up a few ounces at a time and shoot it with a gun with a small cup, such as a Finex 1000 with a 1.4 tip and a 4 oz cup. ($90)
Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Last journal entry: Some DIY experiments
Last photo:

Thanks for the advise

I agree that I am looking to gain a lot of knowledge very fast. I have 60+ hours into this and I basically have to start over because I read the wrong post, or just didn't fully understand the correct process. I now understand that I can get a cheapo spray gun to run off my air and mix small amounts of epoxy and spray as I go. It seems so simple now that I "get it". My painter has graciously offered to take all my panels, headlight buckets, etc as I get them done and get them ready for final assembly, stripe and clear. So everything is wonderful now, I get to chip away at the paint removal, rust removal / repair, welding etc. Prime as needed, body filler etc. Thanks again for all your help, I have a journal going and will continue to update as I get started, again..........

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.