Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 66 Catalina runs hot
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2002, 11:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I used a 180 degree high performance tstat that is supposed to flow more water. I checked it out in a pan of water before putting it in and it has a nice big opening. It opened right at 180. I tried driving it without the tstat and it did not make any difference. That was before I changed the water pump. I don't see any carbon in the water and there are no drips on the ground. I can let it idle with the hood up and it still gets hot. Its goo to know that they were ment to run hot. After it warms up on a warm day it will probalby reach 210 to 215. (Thats 98.89 C) I thought it was the water pump because I don't get much flow when it idles. If I rev it I can see the water move. If I let off the pressure in the upper hose by opening the radiator cap pressure relief a bit it seems to run cooler. I have a 16 lb cap with no overflow. A radiator guy said it would help if I went to an overflow canister and I assume a lighter cap at maybe 7 lbs.