Hot Rod Forum banner

66 chevy truck frame swapping

21K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Randy Owens 
#1 ·
The frame is very weak from rust would it match up with an early 70 model frame ? Its long wheelbase Ido not have a bed for it yet but I would like to go short wheelbase.

#2 ·
Hi ezoo
I don't have the answer for you, but if you find out a later chassis bolts up, I have a 68 chevy swb. All holes welded close, automatic trans mount, Early Classic 1 1/2" drop coils, 2 1/2" droped spindles, 6" droped rear coils, 12 bolt rear. All rust removed and primed in PPG epoxy black primer. It's a rolling chassis. I'm starting a new project and looking to let this go cheap. Hope you find your answer RonWood1002@aol.com

#3 ·
ezoo - i have a 61 C10 Apache and was told that it is a easy swap to a 73+ C10 frame with some body mount mod's. Big plus is the disc brakes, suspension aftermarket it bigger & cheaper for those trucks. If you want a 66 SWB frame & step bed there is one for sale in our local rag for $100 in SE Georgia. Let me know and I will get you the number.

#4 ·
I have a '65 C10 that I put on a '81 Coupe DeVille chassis about ten years ago... It was the best thing I could have ever done to it... except for maybe the full-metal tilt front & 472" Cadillac that I did to it about four or five years back... I think maybe it works O.K. I am in the middle of bringing it back up now... Trial Fit Complete! Did it fit you ask? Sure & it is all stock :rolleyes: right?

#9 ·
Originally posted by ezoo:
<strong>The frame is very weak from rust would it match up with an early 70 model frame ? Its long wheelbase Ido not have a bed for it yet but I would like to go short wheelbase.</strong><hr></blockquote>

in response to your frame dillema i have built several 60 to 66 C10 and you can swap a frame
from 60 to 72 with no modifications if you use
73 to current you will have to make changes to
your body mounts the most difficult is usually the core support

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.