Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   66 impala stock suspension height? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/66-impala-stock-suspension-height-232853.html)

grandslam1991 05-13-2013 09:52 PM

66 impala stock suspension height?

Hey all I've got a 66 impala 2 door hardtop and I'm trying to get me some info on the stock suspension height. The car seems to sit way closer to the ground then it should, and I have long tube headers on the car that bottom out frequently. However I'm not sure what the ride height should be. I had the car in for a wheel alignment and they told me the previous owner cut the springs or something to lower it. So my question is how can I determine how much it's been lowered? And how can I correct it to stock height? Will I need to correct the rear suspension as well?... Thanks

RWENUTS 05-14-2013 08:46 AM

PIcs man!! Shoot us some side view pics.
You might need to buy new springs!

kso 05-14-2013 09:22 AM

Most a-arm suspensions will, from the factory, have the lower arms pointing just a little downward from level (meaning the car is about an inch or so higher than it would be at the point where the lowers were level, and sight that from the pivot points not the a-arm shape). You'd have reasonable clearance and that puts the roll center up around the crankshaft centerline so the car won't pitch or dive around in corners.

You'll need to change the springs, spacers are available but nothing I've used seem to stay in place. Coils commonly interchange among GM cars, just measure wire diameter, loop diameter and height and expect to take a couple trys to get it right. Most will say get new ones but that doesn't guarantee the car will come up the right amount either, the first time.

Rears, same deal.

But you won't be able to cruise around humming Low Rider anymore. Think about that...you might miss it. :mwink:

grandslam1991 05-14-2013 10:08 PM

I will post pics tomorrow once I get a chance to pull the wheels off

grandslam1991 05-14-2013 10:13 PM

How is it if I buy "stock height" springs then why would they not sit where they're supposed to? And as far as low riding goes, this car is WAYYY to low! I bottomed out the trans pan already as well, and it's a miracle I didn't ruin the trans at the same time. It is so impractical and I drive this car daily.

F-BIRD'88 05-15-2013 07:24 AM

Those cars used different spec OEM front coil springs depending on the installed engine and options like air conditioning. So if you want a higher ride height you can get springs for a big block car with A/C.
New springs tend to settle a bit after a while.. For the rear you can replace the rear coils and add some Air Lift air bags. These rear air bags really help these cars with rear axle traction and extra cargo capability/ride height adjust ability.

Air Bag Suspension, Air Springs, Air Suspension Kits | Air Lift Company - Tow and Haul with Safety and Comfort
www.yearone.com

The suspension/control arm bushings are probabily shot too.

kso 05-15-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandslam1991 (Post 1675676)
How is it if I buy "stock height" springs then why would they not sit where they're supposed to? .

'Cause the guys winding springs in some spring shop in 2013 might not be hitting the same spec as the factory back when, and they also have looser interchange standards. Crap shoot...old cars, ya gotta live with it.

Yes, lowered a-bodys don't drive well either. I have an El Camino that was very-slammed for about five years. I got sick of it right about the time the front crossmember wore through. :rolleyes:

grandslam1991 05-15-2013 08:44 PM

Thanks for the help! What would be a good brand to go with for springs?