Hot Rod Forum banner

66 Mercury Cyclone GT

8K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 66 Mercury Cyclone GT that I really like. It's basically original, with some speed mods. Don't know a lot about these cars, did some browsing and found some racing history. Has anyone owned a Cyclone, or had any experience with the model, anything to look out for?

#2 ·
I don't own a Cyclone but I do have a 66 Comet 202, which is in the same model of car. The Cyclones should have a twin scoop hood, bucket seats, floor shift be it a four speed or auto and it will be a two door hardtop. When I did my six cylinder engine auto transmission conversion to a 289 four speed, most of my parts came off Fairlanes, Comet parts are hard to come by. They are almost the same as a Comet except for the exterior sheet metal, this might help when looking for parts.

#5 ·
frankenvette said:
I'm looking at a 66 Mercury Cyclone GT that I really like. It's basically original, with some speed mods. Don't know a lot about these cars, did some browsing and found some racing history. Has anyone owned a Cyclone, or had any experience with the model, anything to look out for?
I am not a ford guy at all but to be honest I have always liked the look of the Cyclone GT cars. I think all of them were 390 335hp cars and the 4 speeds ran really good. When I was in high school there was a black one with red interior that ran around town it was sweet looking with chrome reverse wheels and redline tires. I had a 64 409 340 SS Impala with a glide and 3:55 gear. We raced often and he always caught and pulled me on the big end. Back then my car ran high 14's.

I would definately consider building one myself.

Attachments

#6 ·
Rust belt car? The main thing I would look at first is how much rot has been fixed, and how scaley the underbody is.

You take the 66 and then find me a 65 :D ...I am not a Ford guy either, but the 65s rock my world. remember those factory fake chrome reverse wheel hubcaps for the Cyclone? :cool:

I don't need any more cars :rolleyes: ....unless it's finished ;)

#7 ·
frankenvette said:
Franken thought you might enjoy these pics.

Attachments

#9 ·
frankenvette said:
AWESOME. . . thanks! Looks like I'll have the Cyclone by Thanksgiving, or shortly after. Can't wait, great looking car with all the right stuff.
I think if I did one...I would have to do the late 60's theme. It would be black with red interior or red with black interior. Either way it would have chrome reverse or old school cragars and black wall or red line tires. 390, 4-speed with a 3:50ish gear.

#10 ·
Just look in the usual places for rust. Lower fender corners in front, tourqe boxes and floor pans, inside trunk, and lower quarters/wheel arches. They are enough different from the Fairlanes that it's harder to repair sheetmetal. If you do get it, replace the motor mounts and tranny mount. I'd break one or the other at least 3 times a year with my Cyclone. Gotta love that big block torque!

#13 · (Edited)
They're pretty cool cars. Pretty much an up-scale Fairlane GT. Lots of interchangeability. Plenty of parts available.

I had a Comet (fancy model) that had a 390 in it...2bbl. It was a nice car, with good performance. Enjoy yours.

I've tried for years to find the one an acquaintenance had......original factory super stocker 427, fiberglass front parts, no frills, etc. He was a floater, going here and there. The car was apart, back together, apart again, sent out west, back,.....etc. Last I heard it was out in Iowa somewhere. Last time I saw it, around '94, it was immaculate....and had less than 200 miles on the odometer. What a find that would be; but knowing him, he might have had a temper tantrum and chopped it to pieces. What a shame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.