'66 mustang engine swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Quad Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

'66 mustang engine swap

Well I am on the search about info on the swap.

What I have is a '96 V8 5.0L Ford Explorer and 2wheel drive with OD tranny. It runs and drives.

I am curious as to issues I may run into swap'n this into my '66 Stang that has factory I-6 200ci.

I know the 302 will fit or should, but what about tranny and rear end?
Have to swap wiring harness out of Explorer but thinking also maybe the power steering rack may swap over...

Seems like a good drive line to fit into the Stang, and has FI and AC and good power and will have good 8.8 LS 3.73 rearend.

Any ideas or cons to this swap? Not found much on Swap from a explorer to a mustang.

Thanks for info and tips on the swap!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Maverick/ Granada 8" ford, Granada 5 lug spindles and disk brakes, and a V8 steering box ( to be 'correct' ) will get the car ready for the swap.. then you will need to find the V8 frame mounts.. the expo 8.8 will be too wide for the Mustang

I'd ditch the 4R70W for an AOD.. pretty much the same trans, but the 4R70W is fully electronic.. and ditch the Explorer EFI setup for a pre '95 Mustang setup.. the Expo is OBDII and depending on build date might have a PATS setup, so stuffing that into the Mustang would be very difficult... putting the Expo A/C in the Mustang will also be next to impossible.. you might be able to use the compressor and evaporator. but you will need somthing like a Vintage Air panel and air box...

the good thing is, Ranger guys will buy the Explorer V8 EFI and the front engine accessory drive and pay good money for them..... I personally like the I6's myself but that's just me
Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 PM

66 mustang engine swap

Racinjason68,
My first car was a 66 stang with a 6 cyl. I made a huge mistake with the car in swapping the 6 for a 302. I would have been better off finding a 66 with a V8. Everything had to change (tranny, exhaust, driveline, front spindles, radiator, motor mounts, etc.) Sure it was my first project, but it was terrible. It was not like swapping 6 cyl. for a V8 in a chevy. I found chevy swaps much easier, but not fords.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Quad Racer

Well I have the whole explorer and was hope'n to swap wiring and all so i could use the motor and tranny.

Everyone has done a mustang swap into a mustang but wondered about using the explorer setup. Good motor and tranny. streetable.

I agree I would rather have a v8 car but do not see the wife letting my buy another toy. I have 5 vehicles already and 4 quads and pit bike. Another Stang I am sure would not go over well.

Still up in the air. Finding all the parts off the donor cars may not be to easy.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

well as I said.. the Explorer engine is a very good engine no doubt.. but when it comes to putting that into an older carburated vehicle it will present some problems..

'96 Expo, I'm almost certin has the PATS system and I know '97 does, which at the very least is an ECU re flash.. otherwise you gotta figure out how to use the EX steering column.. 2nd is the OBDII which will require a complete re wire, none of the gauges will work and that will all need figured out.. then when it comes to the rear end, it's too wide and not only that, the Ex rear end has the pumpkin offset to the passenger side.. you can shorten the long ( driver side ) tube to the same length as the short passenger side tube and use a passanger side axle on the driver side and that may be narrow enough, but that's a lot of work for, I'm guessing a worn out Traction lock ( over 75k miles and there due for rebuild ), and disc brakes..

the engine itself would be a very good base. the heads are good, the blocks are good.. but the wiring/ EFI just wouldn't lend itself well to that kind of a retrofit.. you would be much better with an AOD automatic and the fuel injection setup from a EEC-IV 302.. Mustang would be best, and run somthing like an E-303 cam

you can buy complete engine wiring harnesses to tie the EEC-IV EFI into older vehicles
Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Quad Racer

cool... the 96 didnt have the pats that I know of... Cause the remote start would require the key or code box to work and the x didnt need either for the remote start. Your right on the guages... hummm.

the rear end would just need axle swap or complete v8 rear..

Does seem like alot of work. Just have both setting there and the I6 needs overhauled and the ex is wore out, besides the motor...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 AM

Last photo:

even without the PATS your still in for a complete rewire. which is why I suggested using the older EEC-IV fuel injection, which you could buy a harness for and wire it right into the original wiring... Ranger guys will buy the fuel injection/ wiring and pay good money especially for a non PATS system ( can be put into 98+ non PATS 4cyl with little issue )..

that said, the 6cyls arn't that hard to rebuild.. unless it's down on power and pushing a cloud of blue smoke all the time, it probably just needs a little head work.. but even a full rebuild is cheap/ power is getting cheaper to make
Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Quad Racer

Think I am gonna stick with the I6 for now.

The motor swap, I would go with different guages anyways. Wiring doesnt bother me. But not so sure about all the work and try'n to swap front ends.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Quad Racer

Think I will keep working on the other car for now... When it is done I may start another project, with the stang.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.