66 Mustang fastback - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 12:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

66 Mustang fastback

I'm looking to replace the stock 289 in my 66 Mustang with a late model (97 Explorer 4.6 litre) engine for the budget performance potential. Does anyone have experience with Ford (engine tranny swap combinations)? The whole C4, C5, C6 thing has me a bit confused. I'd like to build this car with about a 400 HP potential, auto trans, 3.50 rear ratio. If possible I'd like to stay away from computer controlled trannys. I'm open to Carb, injection, or supercharging. I want to keep the stock look other than (wheels & tires), (no hood cuts). Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

If you're looking for HP, don't get a computer controlled 4.6. Get a 302 or a 351. They are the same bolt pattern an you can use your existing tranny. Parts are cheaper for the old engines anyway, you don't want to worry about computers, sensors, wires, relays, and a whole mess of crap that will want to keep that motor running 'stock'.

Stay with a bare-boned, simply-designed block and you'll be able to modify it with less conflicts, and for less $$$ (in most cases) I had an in-line 6 with a C4 in my '69 coupe originally. I put a 351W truck motor in with a few monor changes (oil pump, pan, timing cover, water pump, eng mount brackets. . .) It wasn't really all that difficult, just tedious.

As far as trannys go C4 is light and doesn't drain much HP. C5 has the same case as a C4 but with wider internal cooling lines, and an extra forward clutch pack. Be careful with them though, they are rare and it's hard to find parts to rebuild them and especially hard to find people that know how to build them properly without them thinking it's C4 since they look like them. C6 is heavier, drains more HP from your motor, but is sturdy enough to handle more serious HP. It has a completely different case and design than the C4/C5.

I tried to have a C5 rebuilt and the guy screwed it up, so I got my $$ back and am shopping for a C6 now. PM me if you have any questions, but I'll tell you right now, I'm not an expert on this stuff either. I'm learning as I make mistakes. Troy-Curt will tell you all about that philosophy.

Good Luck

MoocH
Old 05-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

If it were mine I'd build a stroked 351W backed by a C-6 and keep it looking 60's vintage under the hood as well as outside, they DID have Paxton Superchargers back in the day as I'm sure you recall.......... so that would be period correct and it should fit under the stock hood. Although I loved those old Tasca FORD Mustangs with the tear drop hoods. If you can't squeeze 400 Ponies out of that something's wrong.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:33 PM
speed secret: drive fast!!!!!!

i would go with the 87 - 92 5.0 because it comes stock with forged pistons hydraulic roller cam and fuel injection and would be a derect bolt in. add a super charger and it would surpass 400 horse power with a few more bolt ons. then i would back it by a tremec 5 speed or a C-4 but dont put a aod. 93-96 5.0s replaced the forged pistions with those crapy hypertuatic pistions.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:31 PM

Thanks...

I think I'll stick with the 302/351 generation truck motor. Sounds like the C4 or C6 shouldn't pose a problem either.

I just read an article from Car Craft, regarding a 302 build-up. 400+ HP entirely (stock block) including the cam. They used AFR heads, aluminum intake, carb, roller rockers, etc. It looked nice & stock, no computers, & good on pump gas.

Is there a vintage for the 302's that a guy should know about?

Good versus bad?

I'm also interested in a disc brake rear end that will allow clearance for 50-60 series 17-17 in rims.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:46 PM

definately don't go for a 4.6 if your treying to keep a budget, the overhead cam design makes the engine too wide and it won't fit in the engine bay so you need to get new suspension and trim the towers.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

Contrary to most of the replies, I'm not going to try and sway you into another engine. I will tell you that one thing that you don't seem to have considered is the engine width of the Mod motors and the type of shock tower surgery that will be needed in the car.Those are very cramped and a 351W fits, but nothing wider and I think you'll find the Mod motor is wider than they are.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

Chuck says;

"Pump up that 289 with some heads, intake, cam, headers and forget the hocus pocus, those are great engines."

Thats what he told me.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Grab the June 2004 issue of Super Rod, it's an all Ford issue and there is a Paxton supercharged 289 '65 Fastback and a '66 GT350H with a 2003 Supercharged 4.6 and 6 Speed from a Cobra and IRS from an '01 Mustang. Also an article on building a 500HP 427 based on a 351W ! I'm a Chevy guy but the Fords in there were just too cool to pass by so I grabbed a copy.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.