Hot Rod Forum banner

66 Mustang front brakes

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  66-351 
#1 ·
I was hoping someone here could help me out. I have a 66 Mustang coupe that originally came with a 6 cylinder and I want to swap in a V8. I have read up on the swap and have found several different options. I know I have to put V8 spindles on it, but I can't find any in the junkyards in my area and nobody makes new ones. I found a Granada brake swap, but from what I've read, it really limits my front suspension options. A friend of mine told me that 67 Mustang spindles will work, but I have to use the 67 tie rods. Will the 67 tie rod ends work with the 66 adjuster sleeves or do I need to use all the steering components from the 67? I also read that in 67 Ford used the same spindle for the I6 and the V8, is this true? Did Ford use the same spindles in 67 for disc and drum brakes? If not, where can you find a disc brake conversion for the drum spindle? I'm asking all of this because I have found a pair of spindles from a 67 at a pretty good price, but I want to be absolutely sure they will work before I dish out the cash. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

#2 ·
I'm not shure about the spindals being the same between the I6 and V8, but they are not the same between drum and disc brakes. I recomend the Granada swap myself, add the granada sway bars and it won't handle perfect, but better than it does now at a minimal cost for the conversion. you could use your 6cyl spindals and drums to make a disc brake conversion from scarebird, but you would have 4 lugs.

www.scarebird.com

#3 ·
I went throught the same thing going from the I-6 to my 351W. Nothing from the six setup will work. It all has to go away. The Granada spindles work very well, it gives you disc brakes, although small, a significant improvement over the standard drum brakes. Make sure you find the right motor mounts. They all look the same, but I think the '67 frame mounts are a one-off year. Granada tie rods won't work, neither will '67 Mustang. They are wider than the 65-66. The Granada spindle also has a larger tie rod end hole that requires a bushing to make the 65-66 tie rod end work. If you get into things like power steering and power brakes in the '66, that just makes every thing much more difficult.

#4 ·
About the 67 tie rods, couldn't I just use the 67 tie rod ends? Will they fit the 66 adjuster sleeves? I've heard that you can use the 67 spindles but you have to use the 67 tie rod ends. I've also heard the same thing about the Granada spindles, that it will bolt right in but you have to use the Granada tie rod ends. Is this true?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.