Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 66 mustang hurst shifter.
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Man, it's been 35 years since I had a Mustang with a 4 speed but iirc, reverse was to the left and forward. You don't want reverse where you could accidentally grab it on a power or speed shift and yes, it can happen! If you can, flip the shift lever on the trans over or get one where you can make it over to the left and forward....even if you have to get a different rod...do it. And about nailing reverse....I had a 56 Chevy with a 3 speed and the shifter was hooked up backwards in order to pull 2nd but there was one instance where reverse got pulled. The tires were spinning but the car nosed over. The shift did feel a bit odd and it took a second to figure out what was happening so I shoved the clutch pedal back down. Yup, it was in reverse all right and I can't believe to this day that nothing broke. Maybe something did because I sold the car a few weeks later and the new owner blew the engine within a few days.